Sulcata size

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Year Member
Hi I was wondering how big sulcata tortoises got. If anyone has any pcs of their sully next to a measuring tape or something like that so I may know? Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My Dudley is only 20 years old. He weighs a little over 100lbs and is 2 1/2 feet long and 2 feet wide. He probably won't get much bigger, however there ARE sulcatas who are bigger than Dudley.

If you're thinking of getting a sulcata, or if you already have a smaller one, size really isn't the issue. What IS the problem is the fact that they just bulldoze through everything. They knock the stucco off the side of the house. They mow down your rose bushes by just pushing their way over them. They dig holes to China. They knock over your patio furniture, breaking the glass-top table. They ram your legs.

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like you've had some not-so-pleasant experiences, haven't you Yvonne? :D But you still love him, if not more, right?

Along with size, they EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT AND EAT. Oh, did I mention they eat? You will need to have a large yard. Of course the necessary supplies (sturdy enclosure, proper heating and lighting, substrates, etc). Oh, and it helps to have a seperate savings acct for their vet bills.

My Ralph is going to be 5yrs old next month. He's currently about 18 pounds. Here are some pics of him last November. He was about 14-15 pounds back then....

Ralph11608007.jpg

Ralph11608006.jpg

Ralph11608005.jpg

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You can see all kinds of photos in the photo and video section of the forum:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ryanseiler said:
Do you have any pictures of Dudley?

The boards in his fence are 5 and 3/4" wide:

dudley8-09.jpg

Dudley-3.jpg

Yvonne

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your pics and Dudley and ralph look big and happy. And I have a little baby sulcata and I'm building him a new home which will be ready soon hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.