Sulcata small for his age

LynnsLost

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
This is spikes my 15 y/o sulcata and it's quiet obvious he's way to small for a 15 y/o. I've owned him since a hatchling he was given to me when I was 5/6
He's about 11 inches long and maybe 10-15lbs (I don't have a scale so I'm not sure)
He also doesn't fully lift his back end when he walks, he uses his legs but just kinda drags his bottom. He's a good eater, definitely eats lots, fairly active, diet is grasses and leafy greens. He has no enclosure He's free roam, we go outside every day as long as weather is good. So in the end I guess I wanna know if he'll catch up or if he's gonna stay small.

Attachments

• 20230526_121448.jpg
    20230526_121448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230605_130145.jpg
    20230605_130145.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs to have a proper enclosure with a proper heated night and cold weather shed and not be roaming the floors of your house. He needs proper temps, day, night, basking.
I had to rehab a leopard that couldn't walk properly, it's due to poor care.
If properly taken care of in every way, yes, they can catch up.
Read the sulcata care sheet and get him set up in the proper way so he can live in the proper enclosure with proper walking surface. Add Mazuri tortoise food to his diet. Once he is cared for properly, he should be able to catch up to the size he should be.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Dragging his butt is just a strong symptom of MBD...metabolic bone disease. However, I am not an expert. I also have one too small for his age, but she's 10 and weighs 45 lbs and is badly pyramided. You'll get responses soon enuf. How do you have him set up for winter? He doesn't have a tort house for himself, not your house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He also doesn't fully lift his back end when he walks, he uses his legs but just kinda drags his bottom.
This is a sign of either MBD or walking on slick floors.

The small size is an indicator of incorrect care and feeding. There is no way to know if she will catch up. That would depend on what is wrong and how bad the damage is.

Here is the correct care info. There is a sulcata care sheet at the bottom:

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
Hello Lynn's, Nala has access to Free Roam ( inside) as well but Rarely does, Nala prefers her Bedroom which has a Built in Enclosure. Nala has Exceeded all Expectations I had about her Growth and Health Opposite of your Dilemma, I do Believe it's due to Not having an Enclosure, If you could Designate a Room for Him or build him a Humid Night Box you should get Great Results just from that I did, Nala is a Beast at 26 Months and in Great Health. Good Luck, I Hope all the Best for You and Spikes.

Attachments

• IMG20230628161338.jpg
    IMG20230628161338.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20230628161410.jpg
    IMG20230628161410.jpg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 8