1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

I swear, I haven't seen this question asked anywhere!

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by 1hotAZmimi, Sep 15, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. 1hotAZmimi

1hotAZmimi New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Surprise, AZ
    I have a 25 year old (140 pounds) healthy male sulcata, rescued him from being released in the desert about a month ago. He's pretty chill, loves eating dark leafy greens, carrots, cactus flowers and all the grass he can eat. He comes right up to me from wherever he is in the yard when he sees me. (Im the food chick, he caught on quick! lol) I've noticed that he will raise up as high as he can on all 4 legs and flash his penis while he's eating, especially when he's eating anything other than grass. This happens quite often. Doesn't matter if I'm outside near him or he's alone. We're in AZ, he has his mud pond and a nice burrow and several kinds of fresh grasses, patrols the back yard nightly. Just wondering why he does this, only when eating. Thanks for any insight!
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Some of them just like to evert their penis. They often defecate and/or urinate while tanking up on food or water, and sometimes penis eversion happens when they do either.

As long as it goes back in, I wouldn't worry about it much.
  3. 1hotAZmimi

1hotAZmimi New Member

Surprise, AZ
    Yeah, it always goes back in. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes it out when he poops...good gawd who knew they make such big poops!
    Venetia and EllieMay like this.