Sulcata squirting water from mouth?

MacLachlan

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, South Carolina
I have a young sulcata hatchling (just over a month old) that I was soaking, it took a gulp of water and immediately squirted it back out from his mouth- almost in a short stream. I have raised a few of these guys but have never seen this. Not sure if this means he could have an obstruction, or some other issue, perhaps this is normal and I just never caught the others doing this. I've googled and searched the forums for about 2 hours now with no similar issues, if it even is an issue. Lol

Any clue what this means- if anything? Behaviour seems normal, appetite as well, so likely not a RI.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a young sulcata hatchling (just over a month old) that I was soaking, it took a gulp of water and immediately squirted it back out from his mouth- almost in a short stream. I have raised a few of these guys but have never seen this. Not sure if this means he could have an obstruction, or some other issue, perhaps this is normal and I just never caught the others doing this. I've googled and searched the forums for about 2 hours now with no similar issues, if it even is an issue. Lol

Any clue what this means- if anything? Behaviour seems normal, appetite as well, so likely not a RI.
No, not normal. Not likely due to an obstruction if the tortoise is still eating. Perhaps the tortoise accidentally inhaled some water. How deep was the soak water?

MacLachlan

No, not normal. Not likely due to an obstruction if the tortoise is still eating. Perhaps the tortoise accidentally inhaled some water. How deep was the soak water?

Just to the bottom the plastron when standing. It seemed that he was washing his face with his front legs, which I've seen him do a number of times, this time he pulled his head back up and squirted out the water, so I'd say accidental inhalation seems to be a likely cause.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they pull their head in, whatever is in there in its place must come out. Usually this is air and we hear a hiss. If the tortoise's mouth and throat were full of water at the time head retraction, water would come squirting out the same way the air would.

If all else is good, I wouldn't worry about this. If the tortoise is eating, pooping and growing, there is no reason to think there is an obstruction.

I see you are a new member. Most of the care info given for sulcatas is old, out-dated and wrong. Here is the correct care info if you are interested:

MacLachlan

When they pull their head in, whatever is in there in its place must come out. Usually this is air and we hear a hiss. If the tortoise's mouth and throat were full of water at the time head retraction, water would come squirting out the same way the air would.

If all else is good, I wouldn't worry about this. If the tortoise is eating, pooping and growing, there is no reason to think there is an obstruction.

I see you are a new member. Most of the care info given for sulcatas is old, out-dated and wrong. Here is the correct care info if you are interested:

Sounds good! Thanks! Have actually been using your guide for both of my adults and the hatchling, great stuff!