Sulcata tortoise outside

David Gamblin

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
My sister has recently acquired a sulcata tortoise. We are aware of the care requirements and needs of the tortoise.
I was just wondering when you would recommend letting him outside permanently (size and age) in the UK.
Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The climate in the UK is not suitable for a sulcata for most of every year, so I don't know that you can ever mover them outside permanently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises can't live outside permanently, so you have to wait until the body mass is large enough to be able to hold a warm temperature for a length of time. I would say probably once the tortoise gets to be maybe a foot long front to back?

David Gamblin

Dorset
Thank you very much.
We have built it a custom table as a temporary measure as we knew we would have to wait until it was larger. It has all the heating and uv, and absolutely loves kale!
We were planning to put it in our outdoor aviary when it was big enough, would this be alright, or will we have to build a separate pen for him\her?

David Gamblin

Dorset
It would also have access to the heated area during the day, as well as being shut in at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you very much.
We have built it a custom table as a temporary measure as we knew we would have to wait until it was larger. It has all the heating and uv, and absolutely loves kale!
We were planning to put it in our outdoor aviary when it was big enough, would this be alright, or will we have to build a separate pen for him\her?
Because sulcatas eat off the ground, I wouldn't want him eating off the ground where bird poop is concentrated into such a small space. In my opinion, a separate yard for the tortoise would be better.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Did you have this tortoise for your birthday? Im not from the UK so im wondering is that true it’s most of the time cold and rainy over there?

David Gamblin

Dorset
My sister has been saving up to get it.
It's not always cold and rainy, today has been lovely!