Sulcata with yellow area around the right eye.

Knighttl1109

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello my Sulcata has recently been dealing with a swollen eye and some yellow discoloration around it. I don’t see any discharge coming from the eye. His enclosure is usually about 65 humidity and 80 degrees and above I use substrate that is like a soil consistency and substrate that appears to be wood chips. I am attaching a picture I unfortunately can’t take him to the vet till Thursday but just wanted to reach out and see what if anyone has dealt with this before. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. These babies need specific and consistent conditions in order to stay healthy and grow steadily. It doesn't sound like yours is being kept right when you mentioned the humidity and substrate, for example. Anyway, I am calling on a couple of experts here for more help...@Tom @Yvonne @wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The temps should be a number you know, not an about. The over all day and night should be 80-85 with a basking area of 95-100 and humidity of 80%. Warm water soaks every day for 30 minutes even twice a day won't hurt.
The enclosure should be closed, no open top.
Get digital thermometer with the humidity reading on it also and a point and shoot infrared temp gun.
Do not use mercury vapor bulbs or any cfl coil bulbs and no halogen.
Tube florescent for uvb and incandescent flood for basking and ceramic heat emitter for added heat day and night when needed.
Read the caresheets on here and the closed chamber thread both by member Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello my Sulcata has recently been dealing with a swollen eye and some yellow discoloration around it. I don’t see any discharge coming from the eye. His enclosure is usually about 65 humidity and 80 degrees and above I use substrate that is like a soil consistency and substrate that appears to be wood chips. I am attaching a picture I unfortunately can’t take him to the vet till Thursday but just wanted to reach out and see what if anyone has dealt with this before. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Health issues in baby tortoises are caused by husbandry issues. Review this material and see where you need improvement. There is a sulcata care sheet and a heating/lighting breakdown at the bottom:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sadly, this could be another case of Austwickia chelonae which is nearly always fatal. Yellowish bumpy and weepy looking areas are the main sign of this infection. Most tortoises affected have more than one spot showing, though.

I am not seeing any other areas on your tortoise, so maybe it is something else, but it looks quite suspect to me. Check out the threads on here listed as "yellow bumps on tortoises" and see what you think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly, this could be another case of Austwickia chelonae which is nearly always fatal. Yellowish bumpy and weepy looking areas are the main sign of this infection. Most tortoises affected have more than one spot showing, though.

I am not seeing any other areas on your tortoise, so maybe it is something else, but it looks quite suspect to me. Check out the threads on here listed as "yellow bumps on tortoises" and see what you think.
Man, I forgot about that. Glad you didn't. I hope it's not.

Knighttl1109

CA

He passed away last night and on further inspection I did finally see he had these yellow spots all over his little legs. Thank you so much for your advice. Was this something I did that he got this disease ? Could it have been prevented?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss. No, You couldn't prevent it.