Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
heathedw said:
good stuff tom. i might get one just to see how much it's costing during the winter. if it's .30 cents a day during the winter i would love it.

with Alabama electricity rates it will probably be only .03 cents a day... :p

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
Tom said:
heathedw said:
good stuff tom. i might get one just to see how much it's costing during the winter. if it's .30 cents a day during the winter i would love it.

with Alabama electricity rates it will probably be only .03 cents a day... :p

LOL. After this summer heat, I could use some smaller bills. Thanks again.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom, what thermostat do you use with the radiant heat panel? Does it matter as long as the thermostat can handle the wattage?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the A Life thermostat from LLL Reptile. I don't know if they make them anymore, but I think the ZooMed one is very similar. I don't think it matters as long as it can handle the wattage.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
heathedw said:
Tons of great info. Thanks everyone. Going to get a pig blanket for now and use the CHE until I can get a RHP.

Thanks, Tom. So heathedw, you can get any thermostat, even use the one you have with your CHE, as long as it can handle the wattage!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Great enclosure! I'm going to use some of your ideas, like the upside down kiddie pool to create a burrowing place for my two torts. I will not be ready to do this until at least next year since my babies are on 10 months now. But, what a great idea, and all the information on the pig heating pads are great.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
lynnedit said:
heathedw said:
Tons of great info. Thanks everyone. Going to get a pig blanket for now and use the CHE until I can get a RHP.

Thanks, Tom. So heathedw, you can get any thermostat, even use the one you have with your CHE, as long as it can handle the wattage!

Good to know. Thank you

sibi said:
Great enclosure! I'm going to use some of your ideas, like the upside down kiddie pool to create a burrowing place for my two torts. I will not be ready to do this until at least next year since my babies are on 10 months now. But, what a great idea, and all the information on the pig heating pads are great.

The baby pool turned out to be great. We had it for the kids so I decided to hide it under the trampoline and peanut went straight in. Get the one with a slide on it and just flip over (Walmart) I now have to get him to use his own house I built. He loves the upside down pool burrow. Usually, he sits at the burrow opening and looks out.

On a side note, I should have built the house in the backyard. It took 4 people to move it and getting through the fenced gate was joy on my back. It must have weighed over 500 lbs. Once I get it all finished I will post some pics for people searching for ideas.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
Think I got everything finished except for vinyl strips (got some for free from an Overhead Door Company), cypress mulch and my pig blanket.

I added tile to see if it would help from him digging into the plywood. Also, stained/sealed it with a 10 year color stain. Letting a fan dry it for a few days, but the sun probably did the job today. Clear and sunny.

How hard is it to clean other than a pooper scooper? How often should I change out the cypress mulch?

Pics

House

2012-09-19_16-15-36_121_zps74c02391.jpg

Roof

2012-09-19_16-15-59_809_zps5a0c9fbb.jpg

Door open

2012-09-19_16-16-25_388_zps94ff2862.jpg

CHE

2012-09-19_16-16-42_185_zpsc4a63df8.jpg

Wireless thermo probe

2012-09-19_16-16-51_762_zps9347f5dd.jpg

Power

2012-09-19_16-17-05_454_zps2e246d07.jpg

Peanut's Yard

skeetersmma

Tile laying on floor. Too lazy to seal and I don't have a wet saw to cut. 19 bucks from Home Depot. Figure it will be covered in mulch anyway.

2012-09-19_16-26-32_843_zps4b9b266f.jpg

2012-09-19_16-26-47_424_zps33fdd8e6.jpg

Anything I missed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are going to use mulch you will need to elevate your heat mat to keep the mulch off of it. Yvonne uses flat 2x4s for this.

And the house looks great!

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
Tom said:
If you are going to use mulch you will need to elevate your heat mat to keep the mulch off of it. Yvonne uses flat 2x4s for this.

And the house looks great!

Good to know. Tom, thanks for all the help BTW. Very grateful and to all others as well. I think I saw a post that you use hay. I was going to use straw but wondered if it would soak up urine and also if it could possible catch on fire (that probably is a dumb question).

Should I just use hay? Any pros, cons? I was thinking cypress mulch cause that's what he has for his summer burrow, but hay is cool with me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use any substrate in my boxes with heat mats. I use Bermuda or orchard grass hay in my big box with the oil filled heater.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I saw in one of Yvonne's posts that she uses a horse stall pad in the bottom of her shed. It can be cleaned and I like that idea better than just plywood. Not sure, but I think she put her pig blanket directly on top of that. They are available online for $40 for a 4x6 foot pad, can be cut to fit with a box cutter.

But, now wondering if putting a RHP so close to a stall pad would cause toxic fumes??

You did such a great job building this. It is cute too!!! :cool:

heathedw

5 Year Member
Birmingham AL
DesertGrandma said:
I saw in one of Yvonne's posts that she uses a horse stall pad in the bottom of her shed. It can be cleaned and I like that idea better than just plywood. Not sure, but I think she put her pig blanket directly on top of that. They are available online for $40 for a 4x6 foot pad, can be cut to fit with a box cutter.

But, now wondering if putting a RHP so close to a stall pad would cause toxic fumes??

You did such a great job building this. It is cute too!!! :cool:

Thanks. I'm still debating on the substrate. So many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.