sulcatas sick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Also try adding a tiny amount of cod liver oil for cats and dogs to the feed for a while as this will help with the shell, nails and beak and movement but this is up to you of course please let me know how you get on

antonio650

5 Year Member
ok thanks guys. i make sure his substrate is not very moist. and it sure isnt dirty because i clean it daily. i have been feeding him spring mix with calmcium every day and i think i will be getting some Mazuri soon. can you give me a price estimate on blood work?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This tortoise needs to see a vet. I don't think there is anything that anyone can tell you to do to correct this. If he has not been attacked by something, dog, etc, then it has to be something internally that is causing this. VET ASAP Good luck. Hope he recovers, but keep in mind, it will probably be quite a while, lots of care and no guarantees it will improve.

Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They are a great way to raise a sulcata. If I were you, I would set him up exactly as in the threads below. Get him to a vet, run blood and deff. check your temps. Your enclosure sounds like it could be very hot with all the heat you have going on for a small enclosure. Do you know your temps and humdity? 95-100 basking only, 80 all over except basking and that's with 80% humidity. Get him outside as much as possible. The vet in my opinion is the first thing that should be done, days ago. Good luck.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Another option is to surrender him to a reptile rescue (hopefully a local one). They can pay for him to go to the vet, get the services needed, and get taken care of. I do not know if you could get the little one back though. Unless, you show that you have the proper funds, husbandry, and time to help this little one. Just think if the life of your sulcata. You would rather he live then die and you feel terrible, right? You live, you learn sometimes! Glad you found the forum. Good luck to you.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm afraid that Tom is correct here. This baby needs to see a vet asap. Something is going on and all the care and food in the world may not get to the root of this problem. I suggested a warm bath with baby food squash and/or calcium powder because it can absorb the nutrients through the body. But if he's eating fine and getting all his needs met, then the only thing left is to take him to the vet so they can do some blood work. Something made his beak fall off...you need to get answers. Sometimes, vets will let you pay small installments at a time. Explain your situation to the vet and I'm sure they'll work something out for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
sibi said:
I'm afraid that Tom is correct here. This baby needs to see a vet asap. Something is going on and all the care and food in the world may not get to the root of this problem. I suggested a warm bath with baby food squash and/or calcium powder because it can absorb the nutrients through the body. But if he's eating fine and getting all his needs met, then the only thing left is to take him to the vet so they can do some blood work. Something made his beak fall off...you need to get answers. Sometimes, vets will let you pay small installments at a time. Explain your situation to the vet and I'm sure they'll work something out for you.

Not that Tom wouldn't have the right answers, but I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth. The suggestions were not from Tom, but me Wellington/Barb. The threads I suggested reading are deff Toms. Thank you on behave of Tom and I though. Im sure he would mind me saying Thank you for him:D

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hmmmm.... very strange. You said he has recently been getting a lot of sunshine, but what about before? I know you said he has a UV light, but if I remember correctly, the bulbs on those things are only good for 6 months. So... if you were using a bad bulb for a while, and he wasn't getting natural sunlight, either, that may have caused his beak to fall off. And the reason it's not growing back properly is because there's some permanent underlying deformity there. I rescued a box turtle that had no source of UV for a long time, and his jaws & beak were permanently deformed. After time it got much better, but was never really normal again. That's my guess. I'm sending you a PM about vet help.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oops...sorry Wellington/Barb. You and Tom are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum...sometimes I get you two confused. But, you both are certainly welcome.

wellington said:
sibi said:

Not that Tom wouldn't have the right answers, but I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth. The suggestions were not from Tom, but me Wellington/Barb. The threads I suggested reading are deff Toms. Thank you on behave of Tom and I though. Im sure he would mind me saying Thank you for him:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops...sorry Wellington/Barb. You and Tom are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum...sometimes I get you two confused. But, you both are certainly welcome.

Thank you for the great praise. However, It does fit Tom. It doesn't fit me. I only know what I have learned on this forum. From the great older members of this forum like Tom, that was so much help to me last year when I got my first tortoise and had all the worried tort mom questions. I appreciate them and this forum so much, I want to try and help others the best I can from what I learned. I strive to one day be as knowledgeable as all them.:)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
wellington said:

Thank you for the great praise. However, It does fit Tom. It doesn't fit me. I only know what I have learned on this forum. From the great older members of this forum like Tom, that was so much help to me last year when I got my first tortoise and had all the worried tort mom questions. I appreciate them and this forum so much, I want to try and help others the best I can from what I learned. I strive to one day be as knowledgeable as all them.:)

Web I grow up I wanna e...like Tom! ;)

Ok...that was horrible. My phone didn't show my text.

"When I grow up I wanna be like Tom!"

antonio650

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Hmmmm.... very strange. You said he has recently been getting a lot of sunshine, but what about before? I know you said he has a UV light, but if I remember correctly, the bulbs on those things are only good for 6 months. So... if you were using a bad bulb for a while, and he wasn't getting natural sunlight, either, that may have caused his beak to fall off. And the reason it's not growing back properly is because there's some permanent underlying deformity there. I rescued a box turtle that had no source of UV for a long time, and his jaws & beak were permanently deformed. After time it got much better, but was never really normal again. That's my guess. I'm sending you a PM about vet help.
]

Thank you soooo much, i look forward to hearing more about this. PM me back for more info on vets and such. I am so thankful, I look forward to hearing back from you

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Well, I know this tortoise saw a vet this past Saturday, but I have no idea what the diagnosis was. I'm hoping antonio will come back online and tell us.

antonio650

5 Year Member
the vet gave me 10 shots of Fortaz. this is because the vet thinks he has some sort of bacteria in his blood and the shots will clean out the bacteria. they shaved his beak so it can grow properly and i have to take him in everywhere 3 months to get it shaved back. hopefully it will grow to be normal. i also have to give the vet a fecal sample to check for worms

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
antonio650 said:
the vet gave me 10 shots of Fortaz. this is because the vet thinks he has some sort of bacteria in his blood and the shots will clean out the bacteria. they shaved his beak so it can grow properly and i have to take him in everywhere 3 months to get it shaved back. hopefully it will grow to be normal. i also have to give the vet a fecal sample to check for worms

Sounds great! :D Well done!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Antonio, also check to see if you have a local tortoise or reptile club near you. Often times, the combined experience of these clubs is in the hundreds of years and you will be able to hook up with other people with an interest in tortoises.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
antonio650 said:

That's encouraging! Great to hear :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Glad to hear that he has shots to clear up this potential deadly bacteria in the blood. That's not something to fool around with. Make sure he takes all his shots, and don't forget to get a fecal sample to the vet. He may be battling more than you know. I'm so glad that he's on the road to recovery, though. Please keep us posted on his progress. I'm still very interested in his case.

antonio650

5 Year Member
no. i havent gotten the mazuri yet. he seems to be doing fine. i dont know where to look for a club or an organization near me.

Status
Not open for further replies.