sullivers travels new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
due to the high gas prices, i've decided to stay home this memorial day weekend and finally finish sullivers travels' new outdoor home and house. thanks to all those who have shared their ideas with me directly and indirectly(by me reading your previous posts).
this has been in the works for the past month or so, but due to a heavy workload at the office, i have only been able to tackle it piece by piece. fortunately the pieces are finally coming together.
his new enclosure is about 15.5'x6.5'x17''
IMG_1000000028.JPG
his house is going to be 35x35x22
IMG_1000000033.JPG
IMG_1000000034.JPG
i'm going to add a hinged roof for easy cleaning. i'm thinking of adding tile or linoleum to the floor but still undecided. then its on to insulation and maybe some heating mats of che, but thats a little down the road because summer in soCal is warm and i've got a few months to go. i'm going to replace the lawn with st. augustine sod this sunday for half of the enclosure. and the other half i'm going to plant seeds i bought online specifically for grazing tortoises.
i'm new at this so please feel free to offer any other suggestions you may have. Happy memorial day

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnysd

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
I like it. Good job on the wood work!

fenandoM, should i use some type of sealent. and what type do you reccommend that is not toxic to sullivers travels? do you know anything about sod? do you know if they use any type of pesticide or growing chemicals? i tried to call home depot. but the "expert" was clueless. he said i had to contact the manufacturer? WTF?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry I can't help you with the Sealant question. In reference to the SOD, Homedepot and other hardware stores will almost always tell you that they either don't know or they don't spray them personally.

However, the manufacturer who delivers the stuff does. I'm not too positive about sod. In most cases it's always the veggies and flowers and what not...the stuff that attracts flies and insects. I think they might have... to avoid bugs and crawling stuff to make a home in it.

To be on the safe side I'd still keep the grass off to the side for at least a couple weeks.

Hopefully more experienced will chime in. :)

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Nice craftsmanship, I agree on the sod question. Most likely it has been treated w/ something either to aid in growing or as a pesticide, play it safe and allow some ample time to water and get rid of whatever is on it.

Not to sure on the treatment of the wood, have to wait for someone who has dealt w/ that.

Where you at in SD, I'm also in SD.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would plant seed.. lots of it.. reg grass is fine too. new shoots will be tender.. plant some pansies, lettuce, sqaush..
I got my seed at the nursery.. Pasture grass with clover.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
Laura said:
i would plant seed.. lots of it.. reg grass is fine too. new shoots will be tender.. plant some pansies, lettuce, sqaush..
I got my seed at the nursery.. Pasture grass with clover.

hey laura, thanks for all your advice about the green boards. i got a lot of ideas from your thread. i have ordered some seeds, but if i plant them won't sullivers travels just devore them the minute they pop up?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
johnnysd said:
FernandoM said:
I like it. Good job on the wood work!

fenandoM, should i use some type of sealent. and what type do you reccommend that is not toxic to sullivers travels? do you know anything about sod? do you know if they use any type of pesticide or growing chemicals? i tried to call home depot. but the "expert" was clueless. he said i had to contact the manufacturer? WTF?

Maybe you aleady got information about this, but are you looking to seal the wood? I have seen experienced keepers mention a water based outdoor spar urethane, can be brushed or sprayed on. As long as it airs out for 1-2 weeks, you should be fine.
Sure looks nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.