Archies new home :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexx

5 Year Member
I've set up my boys new home today :) he's had a good wonder round and he seems to like it :) I've put some slate and rocks in there and when he first went in he seemed to be trying to bite them is this normal for getting used to new stuff? I'm worried now he's gona get to cold tho, I've gota get some mesh/wire to put on the top coz I've got cats but for now I'm keeping them out my room :) any suggestions for anything else to put in are welcome :) I'm going to get him another plant not sure wot kind yet tho, can i put a real plant in there like a little pot plant from planters etc, is the soil on them pl for him? Hes sleeping ATM so it can't b that bad :)

Attachments

• image-2078428076.png
    image-2078428076.png
    964.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3078833924.png
    image-3078833924.png
    1 MB · Views: 70

ashned7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake district, England
awww archie is gorgeous! I like the way his house is split in two with the substrate that makes it interesting for him! we have sand/soil substrate and I have violas or pansies in there but they never last long they are quickly eaten! x x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alexx:

Can you rig your light so it hangs straight down? It shortens the life of the bulb when you let it hang at an angle like that, and you're not getting the full benefit of it as you would if it hung straight down.

I like your new habitat. Pretty soon Archie is going to be too wide to fit through the tunnel though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love Archie's shell! You said your worried he will get too cold? Why are you worried? What temps is it in there now? Have you checked the temps at night? Do you have a heat source for at night or is the entire room kept warm enough?

HtVic

5 Year Member
i see the temp under the basking is around 70, thats too low

Alexx

5 Year Member
Thanku for all ure comments :) thanku he is gorgeous even if I do say so myself :) I seen so many ideas I liked in how to set it up and I liked the idea of having the stones to separate it :) do u put the violas in as they r? And do u grow them ureself or just buy them in the pot?
The thermometer at the end of his tank is the wrong thing (im not sure wots its monitoring :) ) so it's not rele 50 I put the one out of his old tank in there for now :)
I will try to put his light so it is straight down thanku for the advice :) I kno he's getting bigger and bigger every day he still thinks he's tiny and can get through small gaps tho :)
He's a hermanns :)
I've got his basking lamp and his uv lamp, its at night that im worried he'll get cold coz if he's in his home part he's not getting the heat. Is there some kind of heat source I can use at night just to keep it steadily warm coz the temperature does drop in my room at night. I'm just a worrier lol :)
I think I've replied to u all lol :)
I came home from work today and found him like this :) x x

Attachments

• image-4159292767.png
    image-4159292767.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 9

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Alexx said:
Thanku for all ure comments :) thanku he is gorgeous even if I do say so myself :) I seen so many ideas I liked in how to set it up and I liked the idea of having the stones to separate it :) do u put the violas in as they r? And do u grow them ureself or just buy them in the pot?
The thermometer at the end of his tank is the wrong thing (im not sure wots its monitoring :) ) so it's not rele 50 I put the one out of his old tank in there for now :)
I will try to put his light so it is straight down thanku for the advice :) I kno he's getting bigger and bigger every day he still thinks he's tiny and can get through small gaps tho :)
He's a hermanns :)
I've got his basking lamp and his uv lamp, its at night that im worried he'll get cold coz if he's in his home part he's not getting the heat. Is there some kind of heat source I can use at night just to keep it steadily warm coz the temperature does drop in my room at night. I'm just a worrier lol :)
I think I've replied to u all lol :)
I came home from work today and found him like this :) x x

As long as ur room temps don't drop below 60-50 degrees he should be fine :)

Oops type I meant 60-65 degrees...stupid smart phone with ur tiny buttons lol

Alexx

5 Year Member
Thanku :) my room doesn't go below that so it should b ok :) he's been asleep and in his bed all day but I think it's going to take a while getting used to the table coz he was in a viv before so he hasn't got that heat constantly now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.