Sun Blaster UVB?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hi everyone! I bought this new UVB bulb for my tort to fit inside their enclosure. I just wanted to double check it was ok and would do the trick! It’s a Sun Blaster T5HO.

View attachment 272437View attachment 272438

Attachments

• IMG_1558195708.996000.jpg
    IMG_1558195708.996000.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1558195720.177659.jpg
    IMG_1558195720.177659.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I bought this new UVB bulb for my tort to fit inside their enclosure. I just wanted to double check it was ok and would do the trick! It’s a Sun Blaster T5HO.

View attachment 272437View attachment 272438

I’m really not sure if it’s a UVB or if it’s a grow light?
I think they are different...
Someone else will be along soon who will know

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What does the bulb look like? That would help determine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

This bulb satisfies number 3 below.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.

peridot

NC
This bulb satisfies number 3 below.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.

I’m unable to take my tortoises out yet because of the cooler temperatures. What brand of UV bulb do you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m unable to take my tortoises out yet because of the cooler temperatures. What brand of UV bulb do you recommend?
Depends on mounting height. The Arcadia tubes that Katie mentioned are great, but they are so strong, that you have to mount them at least 18-20" away. The ZooMed 10.0 HO makes a little less UV and can be mounted closer, but not too close. Just make sure you get the T-5 HO version and not the "regular" 10.0 T-8 tube.