Sunlight vs. Humidity

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone!

This is the first time that I have raised a baby tortoise in the closed chamber with humidity. But, now it is spring and the weather is getting really warm and couldn't be more perfect for a leopard tortoise! My baby is 3.5 inches and is growing extremely well right now. I have been bringing him in at night for warmth. My question is that is it worth having him/her outside to soak in the precious, natural sunlight, or is it better to keep in the closed chamber indoors with more humidity? Currently, it is about 30% humidity outside, but I know that that isn't humid enough to be considered a closed chamber.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At 3-4 inches, I wouldn't eave him outside for more than 3 hours. Then soak on the way back in. Better to keep it indoors most of the time if you want it to continue growing smoothly.

Go into your user profile and type in where you live so people don't have to ask. Different advice for someone in North Dakota vs. Pensacola.

So… Where are you?

Southern California
At 3-4 inches, I wouldn't eave him outside for more than 3 hours. Then soak on the way back in. Better to keep it indoors most of the time if you want it to continue growing smoothly.

Go into your user profile and type in where you live so people don't have to ask. Different advice for someone in North Dakota vs. Pensacola.

So… Where are you?
Sorry about that. I still have a question, however. Why is it better to only get the three or so hours of sunlight instead of all day? The weather is perfect right now; my thermometer reads 80-85 degrees in the shade and 105-115 degrees in the basking areas directly under the sun. I understand that this makes the climate dry, but isn't the natural sun worth it?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would make sure that the enclosure has a good area of shade, your tortoise could get dehydrated very quickly in the sun. You can also put lots of plants in it and keep them watered well, spray them down during the day and it will help keep the humidity up a little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry about that. I still have a question, however. Why is it better to only get the three or so hours of sunlight instead of all day? The weather is perfect right now; my thermometer reads 80-85 degrees in the shade and 105-115 degrees in the basking areas directly under the sun. I understand that this makes the climate dry, but isn't the natural sun worth it?

In repeated side by side experiments, I have found that babies do better when kept inside most of the time. Being outdoors is hard on them. Something about the lack of extremes, or the stability, or the lessened effects of the weather makes them thrive and do much better when they are kept indoors in a good enclosure.

While the sun is a good way to heat them, they only need a few minutes a couple times a week to generate the needed D3. Any more than that offers no additional benefit.

Being outdoors for hours a day dries them out, slows their growth, and makes them pyramid more. My general rule is one hour of outdoor time per inch of tortoise.

Last edited:

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
In repeated side by side experiments, I have found that babies do better when kept inside most of the time. Being outdoors is hard on them. Something about the lack of extremes, or the stability, or the lessened effects of the weather makes them thrive and do much better when they are kept indoors in a good enclosure.

While the sun is a good way to heat them, they only need a few minutes a couple times a week to generate the needed D3. Any more than that offers no additional benefit.

Being outdoors for hours a day dries them out, slows their growth, and makes them pyramid more. My general rule is one hour of outdoor time per inch of tortoise.

This is good info. Is the general rule based on a per week allotment?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is good info. Is the general rule based on a per week allotment?

Per day. I put new hatchlings out for 40-60 minutes, about 4 or 5 times a week. As they gain size, I leave them out longer and longer.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Per day. I put new hatchlings out for 40-60 minutes, about 4 or 5 times a week. As they gain size, I leave them out longer and longer.

Lord. I'm lucky if I get my babies 30 minutes of natural sunlight on Sat/Sun. No chance on the weekdays. Hopefully the T5HO is enough. I do give them D3 calcium 2-3x week.

Does anyone know what a symptom/side-effect would be for lack of UVB? I'm not concerned about that ATM, but it will be helpful to know for the future.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Lord. I'm lucky if I get my babies 30 minutes of natural sunlight on Sat/Sun. No chance on the weekdays. Hopefully the T5HO is enough. I do give them D3 calcium 2-3x week.
If I were you, I'd simply differ to the advice and links Tom has provided. He really has done those "side-by-side" experiments he references and freely give the results for the best of pet tortoises worldwide.
As for your question regarding D3 mixed with calcium, I'm sorry to be unable to answer that for you. An added bonus/benefit to exposure to natural, "UNFILTERED" sunlight and/or UV lights is they give your tortoise the ability to produce D3 on their own which they can then use to bind with calcium to actually use it.
Here in Oregon, we have more rainy days than sunny day. I keep calcium powder always available for them. I don't add D3 because they come and go as they like from the outdoor heated tortoise house to their grazing yard.
Keep asking questions, don't ever be shy, read links given to you, ask more questions, and become an expert yourself answering questions for folks new to tortoises soon yourself.
(ATM)? Automatic teller machine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Does anyone know what a symptom/side-effect would be for lack of UVB? I'm not concerned about that ATM, but it will be helpful to know for the future.
With sunlight every weekend and a HO UV bulb, you should never have any MBD concerns.