Info with GPP

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Hi all!

Im planning to get a pair of baby GPP soon.
Is the care sheet different with babcocki? How fast do they grow in optimum growth rate?

Im confused with closed chamber method. No one seems to be using it here in indonesia.
Is it because most of you live in northern hemisphere of the world which has drier humidity and relatively colder weathers?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi all!

Is the care sheet different with babcocki? How fast do they grow in optimum growth rate?

Im confused with closed chamber method. No one seems to be using it here in indonesia.
Is it because most of you live in northern hemisphere of the world which has drier humidity and relatively colder weathers?

Be cautious with pairing up any tortoise species, they are not designed to pair up....it causes undo stress to one or both--a solo tortoise is a much healthier tortoise....

Closed chambers are still a new method and have not had tons of years to prove their worthiness as a desired method...since you live in a part of the world with good humidity then as long as the tort has access to it then all should be fine...if you do however decide to try the high constant closed in chamber--please remember that temps should never fall below 80 day and night and that there should be healthy air exchange every day so that unhealthy lungs and breathing issues do not begin......

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can care for them in the same way you would a sulcata or normal leopard tortoise.

Growth rates are so variable it would be hard for us to give you any sort of estimate. There's a lot of diversity among leopard tortoises, especially in the southern regions, and average sizes across their original range are vastly different.

I'm not completely knowledgeable of your climate in Indonesia, but a cursory Google search shows you have a tropical climate. If that's the case where you are located, a closed chamber may not be as beneficial as simply raising the tortoises outdoors.

Many here would not advise a pair of tortoises. What I will tell you is that with any group of tortoises 2+, you should always prepare to house them individual(s) separately in case their are any compatibility issues.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

Definitely don't get a pair. Get just one, or get three or more. Also be aware that with multiple tortoises you will probably need to start separating them out at a year and a half. My males started humping everything in sight between 18 and 24 months and shuffling all of them around was a big problem. The females do fine together, but I would not want a juvenile male in with females or other males. They became extremely territorial very early on. So get a group, but be ready to house each male all alone.

The closed chamber method is simply a way to keep the room air out of the tortoise enclosure air. Here in North America the air in most of our houses is too cool and far too dry. Our air conditioners and heaters make it even worse. Even in the humid parts of our country, the indoor air is typically pretty cool and dry. The air in any closed chamber can be kept cool or warm, humid or dry. It just allows a tortoise keeper to control the conditions inside the chamber to make them different than the conditions outside the chamber. If your house is warm and humid all the time, you will not need a closed chamber. You will still need a basking lamp in your indoor set up, and possibly night heat too. I have found that baby tortoises of any species do better when raised mostly indoors until they get a little bigger, even in tropical countries. I put babies in a safe enclosure outside for no more than an hour or two a day. They always have shade and cover and I soak them on the way back in. As they gain size, I leave them outside longer and longer.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Thank you for your replies.

I've seen many sulcatas and pardalis get a severe pyramiding here. Im not sure why but most probably people are afraid that if they keep them in humid place they will develop RNS and pneumonia.

I once had a babcocki and it died too.
I will post pict of the GPP once it arrive here ;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you for your replies.

I've seen many sulcatas and pardalis get a severe pyramiding here. Im not sure why but most probably people are afraid that if they keep them in humid place they will develop RNS and pneumonia.

I once had a babcocki and it died too.
I will post pict of the GPP once it arrive here ;)

Humidity is ONLY ONE ASPECT of environment that is beneficial to a tortoise.... diet, exercise and proper exposure to uva and uvb....also, the tortoise needs to have access to actual earth substrate/outdoor environment....