Sunning the hatchlings

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a couple of those. One I hatched and saved from my partner, who sells everything I hatch, is three years old, one I bought from Vic Morgan, hatched last July and one my partner in San Diego is holding for me. It hatched last year some time and has aberrant scutes.

Did you buy those, or did you hatch them out? And if hatched, do you still have the parents?

(Sorry, but inquiring minds want to know!!!)

Tom C

the two younger ones are from ian tomich. his sire is wc and his dam is vic's stock. the larger one was originally from the behler center who got their adults as donation from a friend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So stud booked, right? I love this species. For many years I had the adults here (1.2), but this past summer my partner, Will, took them to San Diego to live with him. I had a bit of success with eggs and babies, but I'm thinking Will will have much greater success in that location because of the weather. The first thing the biggest female did when in her new home was build a nest and lay many, many eggs, most of which hatched.

The Mep are slow acting, but my perception of them is that they are pretty darned smart. I had placed a bunch of potted plants up against the fence in their enclosure while I worked on a place for the plants to go. Each morning I went into the Manouria yard and the pots were all tipped over. Couldn't figure it out. Then one day I caught the younger female walking up to the row of plants, taking a front foot and tipping them over one by one and looking under them and smelling the ground like she was looking for slugs or bugs or something.

Nick V.

Keyport, New Jersey
Wow, this is definitely on my next to get list. Beautiful hatchlings you have there, should make for some amazing adults.