5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Bonnie, Clyde, and LittleFoot enjoying the warm sun and some tasty treatss

image-2482064428.png

image-2058783816.png

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
What cuties. Do you have pics of their enclosures, and maybe can direct me to them?

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
The list on my signature is what I have. I kind of went nuts rescuing ones over the winter.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
I cant see your signature, could you please tell me? Im interested

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
I cant see your signature, could you please tell me? Im interested

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know my signature wasn't visible. I have 1 sulcata about 9 inches long, 2 russians about 5 inches long, 2 greeks about 2 inches long, 2 yellow paint turtles about 6 inches long and 3 red ears about 4 inches long each.

I'm working on an outdoor enclosure to house the tortoises right now and already have plans for a pond for the water turtles and some pool comets I think. I'm hoping I can get both done this summer though I have to work slow (not in great shape LOL) and while they are outside for the summer i will work on their indoor room Right now they are in several large tanks (40 gallons or more) but I would prefer an entire room for them and I'm sure they would like it too :). It's not a huge room but a large bathroom with a roll in shower, no toilet or sink, so I can seal it up well and may be able to set up the water and humidity to self regulate.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Thas awesome, i have 2 redfoots but know a good amount about tortoise care in general, if u ever need a helping hand dont be afraid to ask

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
Thas awesome, i have 2 redfoots but know a good amount about tortoise care in general, if u ever need a helping hand dont be afraid to ask

Yeah that would be great. I'm really new to all this but love watching my guys run around. I have a thread in the enclosure section called "finally getting it going" where I talk about my progress or lack thereof on my enclosure. I am doing an area about 10x15 I think so I can get it done this season and then I may start expanding and linking the areas together. My dream yard will be all planted up with little lawn that needs mowing, I hate mowing, and maybe raised wooden walkways made of wood like a japanese garden. Thanks for the offer of help. I may take you up on it some time. How old are you? I was about to offer pizza, or a cookout and beer in exchange for the help but I never know how old anyone is on here. I'll be 42 this year.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Lol i love helping, i got people who call me around town when they find turtles on the road, or in their back yard, im 20 years old, i go to the university of new hampshire where i play football for the team. But again, dont be afraid to ask, i would love to help out

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
this is cut and pasted from a wikipedia page on redfoots for what wiki is worth:

Male to male combat begins with a round of head bobbing from each male involved, and then proceeds to a wresting match where the males attempt to turn one another over. The succeeding male (usually the largest male) then attempts to mate with the females. The ritualistic head movements displayed by male red-foots are thought to be a method of species recognition. Other tortoise species, most notably the closely related and sometimes sympatric yellow-footed tortoise (Chelonoidis denticulata), have different challenging head movements. Red-foot tortoises have challenging head movements that are a series of lateral jerks, by contrast, Yellow-footed Tortoises utilize a long sideways sweep in their displays.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Interesting, maybe hes looking for a male to fight?maybe he wants to fight me lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.