Sunshine in Wales!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
We've had a beautiful day today, and the ground temps in my little sun trap of a garden reached 80+'F this afternoon so Lola was able to enjoy the first real UV rays in 6 months. He did look a bit shell shocked (no pun intended) when I put him on the grass and he just lay there for while trying to make out what all the green stuff was and taking in his surroundings but he was soon bombing around exploring. He didn't actually graze on the grass but it may need a bit of a trim, he did find some young dandy leaves though. It was lovely to see him basking with the sun on his shell. I hope we get a few more days like this.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We've had a beautiful day today, and the ground temps in my little sun trap of a garden reached 80+'F this afternoon so Lola was able to enjoy the first real UV rays in 6 months. He did look a bit shell shocked (no pun intended) when I put him on the grass and he just lay there for while trying to make out what all the green stuff was and taking in his surroundings but he was soon bombing around exploring. He didn't actually graze on the grass but it may need a bit of a trim, he did find some young dandy leaves though. It was lovely to see him basking with the sun on his shell. I hope we get a few more days like this.
Brilliant, We did exact same in sunny Sheffield with our redfoots. Gees redfoots love to climb.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When Lola wasn't soaking up the rays he spent his time trying to find a gap in the boundary - never happy! I wasn't expecting these temps yet so going to have to get a move on with making the rest of the garden safe and sorting out a bigger enclosure. That's the plan for the rest of my holiday!

I like the idea of using cinder blocks and planting them up but the builders yards here don't seem to stock them - are they used in UK building trade?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When Lola wasn't soaking up the rays he spent his time trying to find a gap in the boundary - never happy! I wasn't expecting these temps yet so going to have to get a move on with making the rest of the garden safe and sorting out a bigger enclosure. That's the plan for the rest of my holiday!

I like the idea of using cinder blocks and planting them up but the builders yards here don't seem to stock them - are they used in UK building trade?
Yes, but they call them Breeze blocks not Cinder blocks. Search them, have a look on ebay, you can buy owt on ebay.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Anyfoot I thought breeze blocks were the solid ones I've been looking for the blocks with 2 hollows that I could put plants in as I've seen used for some US enclosures but I'll have another look . Cheers! (or iechyd da as we say in Wales)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Diolch yn fawr Anyfoot, that's the type I had in mind.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Dim blaidd drwg yma, Tidgy's Dad! (perhaps a few bad wolves in sheep's clothing though) but will go with Wales for Ever!

Another lovely day in Costa Del Wales, so Lola will be in for a treat again later when the ground warms up.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Another gorgeous day today and Lola has had 4 days on the (Esio) Trot where he has been able to go out. Sadly temps due to drop this weekend so making the most of it while we can! Took some lovely pics of her enjoying her tunnel toy but can't find my lead to upload them so will have to save that for another day.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad you've got some sun.
Look forward to the piccies.
Thanks for the update.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Why didn't you take pictures?! Glad you had some rays!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't actually like being in the sun much but more excited about it for Lola! Did take pics Blake but can't find lead to upload.:rolleyes:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well since giving Lola a taste of the great outdoors he's been acting very strange. He is off his food and very restless. He is still eating but nowhere near the amount before his spring adventure. His poop seems OK.

He hasn't been able to go out for almost a week because the temps dropped again and there was a cold wind but we did manage an hour after work today on what has been the hottest day so far this year. He seems to have forgotten how to graze and just paces around his small temporary outdoor enclosure. Is this normal for a 2+ male after a long winter indoors? (He's anything between 2 and 10 years I've been told from a vet and then another leopard keeper). I did read during a search that as spring is in the air and the sap is rising then he could be looking for a mate, Apart from this he seems healthy enough but the eating less is worrying me.
Thanks
Lyn

Richabi

wales uk
Hi those blocks your looking for or may have found already are called 9 inch hollows if it's any use lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Richard, I think I have found a stockist not far from me - going to pop in on my way back from work this week. Hopefully they are what I want.

Richabi

wales uk
You'll get em from a travis perkins or a jewsons their a common product wt was your intention with them I'm a builder might be able to suggest a better option for you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have seen pics of them used by some on TTT for their outdoor enclosures as mini walls - not cemented together so quite flexible for enlarging or changing shape of enclosure - and they can be filled with soil and planted up, which I like the idea of, but I'm always open to ideas Thanks Richard.

Richabi

wales uk
Ye good idea I was thinking of using railway sleepers bit more decorative for the garden and able to fix things to it like a cover to protect against predators and them getting out they come in 8ft lengths for about 15 pounds each you could put like 2 on flat on the top to act as a hide for him can always add to them to make it longer they make a nice feature to a garden I used them for a raised flower bed looks really nice