outdoor temperature readings

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I decided to take my temperature gun outside today and get some readings. I was shocked by them and just had to share!

The weather today at 3:30pm in my area of southern Oregon was 55°F according to my weather app.

I used my gun to take these readings:

Grass in the shade- 54°F
Grass in the sun- 75°F

Concrete in the shade- 62°F
Concrete in the sun- 89°F

Pathway bark along a fence (where my leopard tortoise was basking) in the sun- 105°F
My leopard tortoise's shell in that basking spot- 103-104°F

I couldn't believe it! I knew he was getting warm temps from sunning on these colder days but I didn't realize to what extent.

My leopard Levi, lives outside full time and all year long here in southern Oregon. Coming from SoCal last summer I wasn't sure how well it would work out but it's going great! He has his heated tort house, the whole yard to himself and apparently plenty of sun to warm up despite cooler temps :D :cool:

Hope this helps some of guys that are debating on whether or not to put your tortoises outside. Every situation is different I know. When Levi is done sunning he can head into his heated house. But just to know that my tort can reach basking temps over 100° on a 55° day is pretty cool..

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I decided to take my temperature gun outside today and get some readings. I was shocked by them and just had to share!

The weather today at 3:30pm in my area of southern Oregon was 55°F according to my weather app.

I used my gun to take these readings:

Grass in the shade- 54°F
Grass in the sun- 75°F

Concrete in the shade- 62°F
Concrete in the sun- 89°F

Pathway bark along a fence (where my leopard tortoise was basking) in the sun- 105°F
My leopard tortoise's shell in that basking spot- 103-104°F

I couldn't believe it! I knew he was getting warm temps from sunning on these colder days but I didn't realize to what extent.

My leopard Levi, lives outside full time and all year long here in southern Oregon. Coming from SoCal last summer I wasn't sure how well it would work out but it's going great! He has his heated tort house, the whole yard to himself and apparently plenty of sun to warm up despite cooler temps :D :cool:

Hope this helps some of guys that are debating on whether or not to put your tortoises outside. Every situation is different I know. When Levi is done sunning he can head into his heated house. But just to know that my tort can reach basking temps over 100° on a 55° day is pretty cool..
Thank you for doing this little experiment. I have done similar ones and got similar results. For instants it is 63° out there right now, sunny, and it is 86 degrees in the enclosure. That's why if it is sunny I can usually put my tortoise out if it is 60° and no rain. Sometimes if the air temperature is even in the 50s, no wind, the temperature in the enclosure will be in the 70s. I think the sunshine is what makes all the difference. Getting the temperature gun has definitely gained my tortoise a lot more outside time.