Supplements for baby Sulcata

mlb7225

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Thousand Oaks
I am in the process of gathering all the right supplies for my little 4 mos old Sulcata.

Are these good products with regard to the supplements required/needed by a baby Sulcata?

Royal Pet Supplies Inc Zoo Med Reptivite w/o D3
Royal Pet Supplies Inc Zoo Med Reptile Calcium w/D3
Zoo Med 4 Pack of Turtle Bones (cuttle bone)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in the process of gathering all the right supplies for my little 4 mos old Sulcata.

Are these good products with regard to the supplements required/needed by a baby Sulcata?

Royal Pet Supplies Inc Zoo Med Reptivite w/o D3
Royal Pet Supplies Inc Zoo Med Reptile Calcium w/D3
Zoo Med 4 Pack of Turtle Bones (cuttle bone)
Get the calcium supplement with D3. Cuttle bones are great too.

Don't over do the supplements. Calcium once or twice a week and vitamins once a week is enough if you are feeding a good varied diet heavy in weeds, grasses, flowers and succulents. If you offer cuttle bones, you really don't even need the calcium supplement, though a little won't hurt.

I think too much emphasis is placed on supplements for tortoises. I think supplements are more essential for some reptiles in some situations, but I haven't found them necessary at all for tortoises. I think a better way to go is to mix in "supplemental foods". Will @Kapidolo Farms offers all sorts of dried tortoise food to mix into other greens and I've been using Tyler's herbal hay https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay for several years now. The ZooMed Grassland AND Forest Tortoise foods are great, as is original Mazuri, or the newer LS type Mazuri. Most of these supplemental foods will need to be introduced in small amount at first to get the tortoise used to them, but all are good.

mlb7225

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thousand Oaks
Get the calcium supplement with D3. Cuttle bones are great too.

Don't over do the supplements. Calcium once or twice a week and vitamins once a week is enough if you are feeding a good varied diet heavy in weeds, grasses, flowers and succulents. If you offer cuttle bones, you really don't even need the calcium supplement, though a little won't hurt.

I think too much emphasis is placed on supplements for tortoises. I think supplements are more essential for some reptiles in some situations, but I haven't found them necessary at all for tortoises. I think a better way to go is to mix in "supplemental foods". Will @Kapidolo Farms offers all sorts of dried tortoise food to mix into other greens and I've been using Tyler's herbal hay https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay for several years now. The ZooMed Grassland AND Forest Tortoise foods are great, as is original Mazuri, or the newer LS type Mazuri. Most of these supplemental foods will need to be introduced in small amount at first to get the tortoise used to them, but all are good.

Okay, sounds good. I just want to have them on hand for the most part. Personally I don't like to take supplements so I want to focus more on the proper diet for my little guy as I would me, but doesn't mean I don't take a vitamin here or there, or a tasty, unhealthy snack. :)

I'm glad you put the comment about Mazuri LS. I actually grabbed a bag on Amazon Saturday night and it comes today. In all the reading I didn't see anyone say LS, only Mazuri Turtle chow so wanted to make sure it was okay. I am about to place an order for seeds at Tortoise Supply so will add the herbal hay as well. I was actually already looking at that product this morning!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, sounds good. I just want to have them on hand for the most part. Personally I don't like to take supplements so I want to focus more on the proper diet for my little guy as I would me, but doesn't mean I don't take a vitamin here or there, or a tasty, unhealthy snack. :)

I'm glad you put the comment about Mazuri LS. I actually grabbed a bag on Amazon Saturday night and it comes today. In all the reading I didn't see anyone say LS, only Mazuri Turtle chow so wanted to make sure it was okay. I am about to place an order for seeds at Tortoise Supply so will add the herbal hay as well. I was actually already looking at that product this morning!
Most tortoise seem to not care for the LS much at first, but its a good food if you take the time to soak it and introduce it in small amounts at first. In time, they like it just fine and its a good supplemental food source.