Surprise tiny leopards-Questions

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Yesterday a tiny leo showed up on our patio. Today another even tinier one. I have been watching for nesting but never saw one, or at least that I could recognize. Here's my question: How big is the hole they emerge from the ground? The only place I think they may have come from is a hole that is only about the size of a quarter. Both are old enough that their egg sack has been absorbed and they are both active and healthy. Anyone experienced with inground incubation please help!
Joy
Humphrey, Dot, Gracie and Little Boy

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Joy! Long time no see.

I just had a group of leopard tortoises dig their way out of the ground not too long ago. They very well could have come from the quarter sized hole. I've seen them emerge from holes that size, and up to the size of a baseball. Dig around in that hole, it should only go down about 8 inches or so if it is a nest. You should find egg shell fragments, or maybe more hatchlings/eggs.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Joy! Long time no see.

I just had a group of leopard tortoises dig their way out of the ground not too long ago. They very well could have come from the quarter sized hole. I've seen them emerge from holes that size, and up to the size of a baseball. Dig around in that hole, it should only go down about 8 inches or so if it is a nest. You should find egg shell fragments, or maybe more hatchlings/eggs.

Hi Neal. I know long time. Thought I saw a "test" nest a few months ago, but decided it wasn't one. Now trying to figure out where they are coming from so I can look for more. Will do as you suggest an hopefully find the source. Thank you!!

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I love that these little tort geniuses made it up to your patio and knew that is where the lady is that will assign them their baby Tort living quarters [emoji217][emoji173]️[emoji16][emoji4]

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Still haven't found the nest, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe more will appear. Fingers crossed.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a new photo to share this morning. Hatchling #3 showed up this morning. It is even tinier than the first two. Active and healthy looking. It was in fact sitting on the top of the "test" nest, covered in dirt. If it hadn't moved I would have thought it was just a clod or rock. So now I am sure where the nest actually is. Funny that my other four have been hanging around that area for the last couple of days even through all the rain we have had here in AZ. It's almost like they know and are having a baby shower, haha.
JoyHatchlings#3.JPG

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member

Drs orders for any kind of depression... or just a bad day... orrrrr just wanting to over treat life with awesomeness:
Treatment : one teaspoon sized baby tortoise!

For extreme depression:
Treatment: 4 teaspoon baby tortoises

Results: endless smiles!!

Warning: may be hazardous to driving skills as continuous views of said spoonfuls of baby tortoises may cause daydreaming of a place called “Tortoise Land” (like LEGO land, but everything is tortoise themed, far more organic, and the sun revolves around Torts (also... very exclusive membership, word of mouth only, like a speak easy... for tort enthusiasts that also believe it is an amazing feat to carry ones house on your back every day!!! (honorary members may include excessively friendly and tort tolerant dogs , like Australian Shepherds [emoji6]))) where all that matters are torts and their cuteness!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Update: Ended up with four beautiful babies. The fourth one is even tinier than the first three and absolutely friendly and thriving. Have found homes for two of them but will keep the smallest and the first one for awhile. Also, my female has dug two new nests. :) Going to let them over winter and hopefully will get more babies in the Spring... Might be time to start looking for an incubator.