Sweaters?

jenlewisbodine

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have been using old socks I cut to my girl’s body. They seem to be great. Is it ok to cloth my girl to keep her body temp regulated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clothes are worn by warm blooded animals to keep the SELF manufactured heat inside. Clothing on a cold blooded animal that doesn't manufacture its own heat has the opposite effect, that is, it keeps the heat out, off the animal.

jenlewisbodine

Kentucky
I only
Clothing up your tortoise won't do mmuch for temperature regulation. It might even hinder it. If you are using a heat bulb from overhead, the sock will insulate the warmth and keep it outside of your tortoises body.i only use them if she’s hanging out in the house with my family. Not outside or in her enclosure

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I wouldn’t, it also hinders them absorbing their needed uv.

Welcome btw!🐢💚 out of interest what kind of tortoise do you have? And do you have a photo of your set up?😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I wouldn’t, it also hinders them absorbing their needed uv.

Welcome btw!🐢💚 out of interest what kind of tortoise do you have? And do you have a photo of your set up?😊
They don't absorb UVB through their shells but mostly through the skin areas not protected with hard scales, like neck. That's why many of them do the "sploots" when basking.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
They don't absorb UVB through their shells but mostly through the skin areas not protected with hard scales, like neck. That's why many of them do the "sploots" when basking.
lol that makes complete sense! I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on here that they do absorb some through their shell though? Perhaps I’m remembering wrong😬

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hanging out in the house with the family is not safe and cannot be made safe. Getting cold is only one of many factors that make this practice unsuitable and dangerous. The tortoise needs to be kept in its enclosures, either indoors or outdoors for its own safety.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do believe this is wrong. They do absorb thru shell too.
@Yvonne G
@Tom
I honestly don't know the answer, and I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other definitively. It is my understanding that it mostly takes place in the skin, but I don't know if anyone can say with 100% certainty that no D3 synthesis is happening anywhere on the carapace. If someone had studied this extensively and knew for sure based on their studies what the answer was, I would not argue with them. I will argue the things I DO know. This is one of the things that I only know what I've been told.

@Markw84 is very knowledgeable on these matter and so is Will @Kapidolo Farms I'd love to hear their thoughts on the matter. If I recall correctly it was Mark who initially told me it was all about the skin.

jenlewisbodine

Kentucky
lol that makes complete sense! I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on here that they do absorb some through their shell though? Perhaps I’m remembering wrong😬
They do absorb through shell which is why I only put them on here when she hangs out in the house with no light. Ie on my lap, walking around her room in the house

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do absorb through shell which is why I only put them on here when she hangs out in the house with no light. Ie on my lap, walking around her room in the house
Well, seeing one of our experts don't know, I will take it you really don't know either, and are guessing, unless you have a studying you have found, I'd love for you to share it.
I do believe they do too, but I have no real proof either.
Let's see what the other experts Tom alerted and see what they say. I would except their info as knowing, not guessing.

jenlewisbodine

Kentucky
Well, seeing one of our experts don't know, I will take it you really don't know either, and are guessing, unless you have a studying you have found, I'd love for you to share it.
I do believe they do too, but I have no real proof either.
Let's see what the other experts Tom alerted and see what they say. I would except their info as knowing, not guessing.
I was trying to say I put sweaters on HER not here

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was trying to say I put sweaters on HER not here
Sweaters will do nothing for her. Some people will put costumes on their tortoises to let them walk around in the yard, cuz they are easier to see. They usually aren't made from sweater material though.
I personally would not recommend sweaters as they could get caught on something too easily and possibly choke or tangle a leg.
The sweater will not keep it warm and will block any UV. As far as roaming the floors of your home, that's dangerous too unless it is a designated room just for the tort.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I honestly don't know the answer, and I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other definitively. It is my understanding that it mostly takes place in the skin, but I don't know if anyone can say with 100% certainty that no D3 synthesis is happening anywhere on the carapace. If someone had studied this extensively and knew for sure based on their studies what the answer was, I would not argue with them. I will argue the things I DO know. This is one of the things that I only know what I've been told.

@Markw84 is very knowledgeable on these matter and so is Will @Kapidolo Farms I'd love to hear their thoughts on the matter. If I recall correctly it was Mark who initially told me it was all about the skin.
The skin is certainly where the main UV-preD3 sythesis takes place. That is why when tortoises bask, they extend and expose the softer skin of the neck and legs. It is most probably the heat that encourages this behavior, but the benefit is UV exposure in the process.

BUT... ( a big but here ) we cannot rule out that some synthesis may occur at the scute seams, especially in younger tortoises growing rapidly. The epithelial layer and therefore blood flow is more exposed at growth seams - the white seams we see in a growing tortoise. That "could" also allow for pre-D3 synthesis. I have theorized that this is perhaps a benefit of the white marbling, for example in 2-6 mo old Galapagos at the growth seams. That would allow for much better light penetration into the epithelial layer as opposed to the otherwise black carapace while the tortoise is growing and building bone very rapidly. This also would allow a tortoise to more cryptically bask/ or to spend less time in the direct sun, and exposed, to get a similar amount of D3 synthesis started.

Many tortoises from very hot areas, as well as many forest tortoises, have light colored skin which would maximize D3 synthesis starting in a less amount of time exposed.

jenlewisbodine

Kentucky
Sweaters will do nothing for her. Some people will put costumes on their tortoises to let them walk around in the yard, cuz they are easier to see. They usually aren't made from sweater material though.
I personally would not recommend sweaters as they could get caught on something too easily and possibly choke or tangle a leg.
The sweater will not keep it warm and will block any UV. As far as roaming the floors of your home, that's dangerous too unless it is a designated room just for the tort.
I have a tutu for her to see her in the yard. Ty for your comment

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The skin is certainly where the main UV-preD3 sythesis takes place. That is why when tortoises bask, they extend and expose the softer skin of the neck and legs. It is most probably the heat that encourages this behavior, but the benefit is UV exposure in the process.

BUT... ( a big but here ) we cannot rule out that some synthesis may occur at the scute seams, especially in younger tortoises growing rapidly. The epithelial layer and therefore blood flow is more exposed at growth seams - the white seams we see in a growing tortoise. That "could" also allow for pre-D3 synthesis. I have theorized that this is perhaps a benefit of the white marbling, for example in 2-6 mo old Galapagos at the growth seams. That would allow for much better light penetration into the epithelial layer as opposed to the otherwise black carapace while the tortoise is growing and building bone very rapidly. This also would allow a tortoise to more cryptically bask/ or to spend less time in the direct sun, and exposed, to get a similar amount of D3 synthesis started.

Many tortoises from very hot areas, as well as many forest tortoises, have light colored skin which would maximize D3 synthesis starting in a less amount of time exposed.
Thank you for explaining this, appreciate it🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Wouldn't darker skin maximize the D3 synthesis as darker colors attract heat/sun more? Or, is what you are saying, the lighter skin would let it in easier?
Thanks for the post.