Sweet alyssum

JoeWells

Location (City and/or State)
Morro Bay
My tort LOVES this plant. My question is, how often can I feed it to my russian? It’s around 7 months old and it’s a pretty picky eater. Tortoise table says to feed in moderation but what does that mean? A tiny bit in each meal? Once a week? Any help would be appreciated. Also, are the flowers ok to feed as well? 73DB1BDA-CB44-4268-90EF-A1A54924196D.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Allysum is a brassica (like bok choy and turnips and arugula!) and like all brassicas, should be eaten in moderation.

What does that mean, exactly? Opinions will vary but I think keeping a Russian’s brassica total diet at between 20-30 percent is fine. That doesn’t mean in one week or day, it’s what you end up feeding over the course of a month of year. Some people will suggest less but in the wild a Russian can eat a good deal of brassicas at certain times of year, depending what’s in season. If yours happens to eat a bunch for a couple of weeks, that’s fine. Just keep offering other foods and eventually she’ll try something else.

Yes, the flowers are fine.

I’m impressed yours likes it. It’s a plant that comes in one of the seed mixes recommended on this site but mine never got a taste for it.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Thank you rosemary. I feel much better. Yea, he/she will trample all other food to get to it. I’ve been adding one little shoot to each meal along with a plethora of other things so I’d say it’s less than 20% at the moment. Do you think if I minced everything together it would have to stop being so picky or are you a believer in a tort having to work for its meal as far as full leafs and weeds? Thank you for your time by the way

JoeWells

Morro Bay
It does eat enough of everything else so I’m not concerned but there’s a few plants it won’t touch. And I’m having trouble feeding it the Mazuri pellets in any form so I’m not sure if it’s getting the right fiber amount. It will eat a bit of Timothy hay but very sparingly

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
People have different opinions on how to handle picky eaters. I’m of the “keep rotating things and let them go hungry a couple of days” mindset. A tortoise can go much, much longer without eating than we can. I wouldn’t say that for a baby or a young tortoise but yours is getting past the juvenile stage. On the other hand, there are some really experienced owners here who would say to mince a tiny bit of the food (try just one at a time) that she doesn’t like; dampen everything else a bit; and mix it all together. She’ll have to eat a bit of it and that’s how they develop a taste for new foods. It’s hard for humans to imagine any animal going without food but whichever method you choose, I promise your tortoise won’t starve herself.

I’m not an expert on the Mazuri but if you haven’t tried soaking it and mixing in just a tiny tiny bit of a pellet, that’s how many picky eaters get the taste of it. That’s great she’ll eat a little hay, most don’t, at least not without a lot of cutting and mixing.

I know it’s overcast in Morro Bay on what seems like a permanent basis but if you can keep a squash plant alive for even a few weeks, the leaves, stems, and fiber are all good sources of fiber. A little cut up okra is also good, you just need to make sure there aren’t a ton of seeds in what you give her while she’s young.. I don’t know if they have any in your exact area but I think there are Mexican markets at least in SLO? They will likely have cactus pads (nopales), which are also great sources of fiber. I visited one over the weekend that actually was selling squash blossoms, which I’ve never seen at a Mexican grocery store before. YMMV as to whether your tortoise will go for any of these off the bat though but they are all worth trying.

There may always be a few plants she doesn’t like and that’s okay. My tortoise is a great eater but like I said, she doesn’t care for alyssum. If she ever willingly eats cilantro I will make a post here in giant ALL CAPS, lol. I still offer both on occasion because you never know.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
That’s great advice, thank you. I found some dandelions in my yard and she seems to like the leaves. Oddly enough she doesn’t touch the actual flower. My dad has cactus growing in his back yard so I have a ton of that. The first time I gave it to her she ate a bunch but hasn’t been interested since. Same with the prickly pear, first time loved it now she isn’t interested. I think my daughter is rubbing off on her. She’s a horribly picky eater too. I’ll keep on experimenting, I’ll figure out what works eventually. Thank you for taking the time Rosemary. I’ll keep you posted

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That’s interesting about the flowers. She’ll come around on that one for sure.

My tortoise is very love/hate with cactus. Have you tried picking it with your bare hands and getting prickled everywhere? Because that really seems to make a difference with her attraction to it. If I don’t suffer the taste just isn’t the same. o_O

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Ha! I’ll try that one today. I’ll also put some in my mouth and eat it in front of her to show her how it’s done. Possible ER visit but definitely worth it if it’s successful

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Any suggestions on my enclosure? It was open on the sides and top so I put the plastic up for humidity/heat purposes. Its far more manageable to keep it where I like it now 8EDA84B7-CAB1-4EEE-89A4-749D4D4F1441.jpeg27A575A3-897C-4FA5-9EE2-AF47FFA7476B.jpeg