Sweet potato leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I bought watercress, pumpkin, mustard, sweet potato leaves but I tried a few supermarkets and could not get turnip, collard and endive leaves. I will still go looking around however I would like to ask if it's ok to feed them sweet potato leaves for my lovely Stars?

I also ordered online Zoomed Grassland food which contains Dandelion in it which is not available where I'm from. I will mix this with the Mazuri tortoise food along with my spring mix and Ca powder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If I'm not mistaken, sweet potato leaves are toxic. Anyone???

I'm thinking they're in the deadly nightshade family, along with tomatoes. The fruit of the plant is ok, but the leaves are toxic.

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If I'm not mistaken, sweet potato leaves are toxic. Anyone???

I'm thinking they're in the deadly nightshade family, along with tomatoes. The fruit of the plant is ok, but the leaves are toxic.

Yvonne

Ok, I'll cook it for lunch tomorrow, hope it taste good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it looks like I was wrong about sweet potato leaves:

""The Solanaceae Family has been highly cultivated over the years - it includes potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet peppers, chili peppers (but not black pepper), tobacco and petunias. Some plants have great medicinal value, some are quite poisonous." You can eat sweet potato leaves. They are a different family."

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

""The Solanaceae Family has been highly cultivated over the years - it includes potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet peppers, chili peppers (but not black pepper), tobacco and petunias. Some plants have great medicinal value, some are quite poisonous." You can eat sweet potato leaves. They are a different family."

Yvonne

Now I'm confused so can we feed them to my stars?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Only thing I can tell you is that they are not toxic. How much nutrition they have or if they're good for tortoises, I don't know.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
samstar said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Come on Sam.. what's confusing about.. "You can eat sweet potato leaves." ?

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
samstar said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Come on Sam.. what's confusing about.. "You can eat sweet potato leaves." ?

I am going to play safe and eat it all :p

Status
Not open for further replies.