Switching substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
I've been using hay ever since Bowser has been 6 months old (before that was the reptile carpet) and ever since we moved into our new place she has been on our front porch I have been having problems with the hay lately. Well for one we live in Florida and it is crazy humid here (I'm sure a lot of you understand, lol) and it seems to be making the hay moldy :( I have been switching it out like crazy.

So I have been hearing a lot of good things about cypress mulch and wondered if it's safe for sulcatas. What if she accidentally eats some? I still want to provide the hay to her somehow because she eats it still, but I'll try to figure a way out to give it to her...

I think I'll be buying it from Home Depot tomorrow so I wanted to get everyones opinion before buying it. Please help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lots of people use cypress mulch and have no problems. Just buy the fine grade stuff so its not too coarse. They normally don't eat it, but as a precaution just feed him as much as he will eat before you put him on the new substrate and then put out some food platters on the new substrate. That way, if he gets the munchies, he can eat the food instead of sampling the new substrate. I think you will find its much better than the hay you've been using.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Should I get a special kind, if their are different kinds? I won't get any weird colors, if they sell that, lol.

I'll try that with the food. But I swear, it seems like she is always hungry, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just plain cypress mulch with NO additives or colors of any kind. Look on the back of the bag for "ingredients". It should only say "Cypress Mulch".

Sulcatas ARE always hungry. :D How do you think they reach 150 pounds after hatching at 35 grams? :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Okey dokey, I got the substrate :D Now I guess it's time for me to get to work, yeah, lol. I'll post pics of when I get done with it!

Thank you so much for your help Tom! I really appreciate it :D

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Where did you find the Cypress Mulch? I couldn't find it at my local Petco or Petsmart

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
PEEEETE said:
Where did you find the Cypress Mulch? I couldn't find it at my local Petco or Petsmart

I had to go to Home Depot and they had it for $1.88, but then I went to Walmart and they had it for $1.50, some good things about Walmart, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
PEEEETE said:

Cypress mulch is really hard to find in bulk in the Western United States. I get mine from Tyler Stewart when he comes to the shows near here. Well, I bought four bags one time and haven't needed any since.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Tom said:
PEEEETE said:

Cypress mulch is really hard to find in bulk in the Western United States. I get mine from Tyler Stewart when he comes to the shows near here. Well, I bought four bags one time and haven't needed any since.

That's a shame... I'm gonna go on a hunt for that today.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I wonder why it's so hard to find it over on the west side?

It's weird, I bought a huge bag (the bag was half my size!) for $1.50 at Walmart and yesterday I went to Petco to walk around and they had a small bag of cypress mulch for $19.50, that was crazy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PEEEETE said:

At the two stores you mentioned, its called Forest Floor, Jungle Bed or Cypress Bed and its by Zoo Med or (I can't remember the other brand).

The OP bought her cypress mulch at a home improvement store in the Garden Shop. You can get it in bigger bags and much cheaper this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.