Swollen Eye

MORSTE

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds
Hi,

this is our first tortoise so we are very inexperienced owners, i believe he is about 15 months old. We are a bit worried about his eye we just noticed this yesterday he is keeping one eye closed and it look a bit swollen? It seems to be bothering him as he sometimes tries to rub it, he can open it though and when he does open it looks normal?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_20200126_130858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What are:
1. Lights
2. UV light
3. Heat
4. Substrate
5. Diet
6. Enclosure
7. Where did you get your tortoise
Also welcome to TFO

MORSTE

Leeds
Thanks for the reply everything we have was provided as a starter kit, i understand the things we ave may not be the best so any recommendations will be taken on board.

1. all in one Mercury vapour D3 basking lamp
4. the substrate is Reptimaize (a very fine digestible substrate)
5.diet has been kale and other mixed leaf and we are also adding a calcium supplement. (he doesn't seem to eat much and whenever we have seen him eat it has only been kale.
6. his enclosure is open top 3ft x 2ft
7. we are in the uk and hes was bought from a local pet store.

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_130847.jpg
    IMG_20200126_130847.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might have something in it. You can flush the eye with sterile saline solution. The pharmacy sells little squirt bottles of sterile saline solution in the contact lens section. Also, in case he may have scratched and injured it a bit you can get some soothing ointment and put on it for a few days. I buy this one online because none of the pet stores in my area carry it:
eye ointment b.jpg