swollen tortoise?

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
he seems a bit swollen, i asked my family and they said he looked fine but im just making sure. hes been eating the same and hes usually fed a bit of cucumber,spring mix, and tortoise pellets. i soak him around 3-5 times a week and he poops normally and usually doesnt pass urates but when he does they seem normal. does he seem fine or am i just paranoid? hes acting the same as always. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434746995.962986.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434747081.649407.jpg

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
he seems a bit swollen, i asked my family and they said he looked fine but im just making sure. hes been eating the same and hes usually fed a bit of cucumber,spring mix, and tortoise pellets. i soak him around 3-5 times a week and he poops normally and usually doesnt pass urates but when he does they seem normal. does he seem fine or am i just paranoid? hes acting the same as always. View attachment 135192View attachment 135193
Swollen where? He seems okay to me.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I see what you mean, have you weighed him? Has he gained more?

Maybe it's just the position he's sitting in

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
I see what you mean, have you weighed him? Has he gained more?

Maybe it's just the position he's sitting in
i have not weighed him yet, its probably just the position hes in but i have no idea. maybe im just paranoid? ive recently lost a russian tortoise so ive been very worried about this one. ill try to weigh him soon!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I don't own one and I just looked at some on the web and it looks normal :) don't worry, I'm very paranoid too as spud is my first.

For peace at mind, let's ask @Tidgy's Dad as tidgy is a Russian (I think)

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Russians tend to look this way after they have been soaked, it tends to go down throughout the day. I am amazed at how much water they drink sometimes. Only reason I know this is that after receiving a shipment of tortoises, I soaked them and just about freaked out! I had to call someone who had prior experience with them. They have unlimited water in their enclosure and it hasn't happened since.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Russians tend to look this way after they have been soaked, it tends to go down throughout the day. I am amazed at how much water they drink sometimes. Only reason I know this is that after receiving a shipment of tortoises, I soaked them and just about freaked out! I had to call someone who had prior experience with them. They have unlimited water in their enclosure and it hasn't happened since.
oh okay thats good! i was getting worried about him so thank you! :)

parrotlady

5 Year Member
All I can do is relate my experience, i am glad that it helps. Just keep a eye on him, I am sure he will be fine.