T-8 Growth light and MVB

Turbotort

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just a quick question. Does anyone think having both is overkill? I had the T-8 light hanging over some plants I was trying to grow but they just didn't thrive. I figured it couldn't hurt to have that in there for extra uvb. Am I wrong?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Does your grow light emit UVb? Many do not. What kind of tortoise is this and is this an open or closed top enclosure?

Many species wouldn't appreciate that much bright light and a closed chamber - unless quite large - would likely overheat with all of that.

Turbotort

Florida
I believe it does. Its a T8 florescent bulb. 15 watt. It wasnt expensive. Under the counter unit from lowes. It's in a closed chamber. It's probably 6-8 inches from the substrate with a diffuser. Leopard tortoise btw.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I believe it does. Its a T8 florescent bulb. 15 watt. It wasnt expensive. Under the counter unit from lowes. It's in a closed chamber. It's probably 6-8 inches from the substrate with a diffuser. Leopard tortoise btw.

I didn't think Lowes sold any that didn't filter UV out. Also sounds way too low wattage to be a grow light (likely why your plants didn't flourish). If you want to add more visible light, use it - but you might want to swap the bulb for a reptisun, or another brand known for emitting UVB so your tortoise gets more benefits.

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I'll have to look into it. I was just turned off at the super high prices in pet stores for the uvb tube lights. 40 or 50 just for the bulb. I mean I did get my 100w mvb for around the same price.