charliek

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help last time!

I'd like help working out how to suspend/mount/hold the Arcadia T8 18" 15w 12% D3 fluorescent bulb I've purchased, with an 18" Arcadia reflector. From spending ages reading multiple forum posts here, blogs and product pages, I still can't figure out how to suspend the bulb over the table, safely. Swell Reptiles sell the full kits, but for the wrong bulb, sadly. It's been tricky to find anything other than the Arcadia controller kits, which I doubt will work as I don't think they're intended to be used to suspend the bulb!

I am in the process of changing the whole lighting set up and along with this bulb, I've bought a 75w basking bulb, which I'm now also now questioning. I'm unsure if I've gone about this incorrectly, so if any one could guide me with this, it'd be really appreciated, thank you. I'd rather get it right 2nd time round!

I have one little Eastern Hermann Tortoise, about 1 year old. We have an enclosure, 1/4 covered, dimensions 96.8L x 56.9W x 33.3H. Coco coir & coco soil, water, varied foods, humidity meter, garden time (when warm in the UK) and enrichment. I want to make Dot as happy as possible and set them up for a good, healthy life.

Thanks again. :) 🐢🥰

P.S., there are some fluorescent bulb law changes in the UK, could this be causing an issue in finding the relevant product?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello! Do you mean t5? T8 bulbs aren’t as effective, for a yearling you’re also going to want a completely closed chamber set up, having it partially covered is going to be impossible to maintain the humidity you’re needing for a young tortoise. Am I right in saying the sizing is roughly 8x4 foot though? Because that’s a perfect size! Don’t suppose we could get a photo? Might help in coming up with a way for you to cover it, once I get a look at the set up I can also help with how to mount the uv, we have the Arcadia too🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If you type in Arcadia proT5 kit 12% the right one should come up for you in the uk, I’m from the uk too

Attachments

• IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Today is my birthday!
Cyprus
Looking at length/wattage I would assume it's indeed a T8 lamp. When used with a reflector it should be at 12" inches above substrate. If height is 33 centimeters, not inches then, perhaps, easiest would be to place a wooden plank on side walls and screw in fixture to the plank.

Can you post photos of the lamp and fixture and tortoise enclosure?

charliek

United Kingdom
Hello! Do you mean t5? T8 bulbs aren’t as effective, for a yearling you’re also going to want a completely closed chamber set up, having it partially covered is going to be impossible to maintain the humidity you’re needing for a young tortoise. Am I right in saying the sizing is roughly 8x4 foot though? Because that’s a perfect size! Don’t suppose we could get a photo? Might help in coming up with a way for you to cover it, once I get a look at the set up I can also help with how to mount the uv, we have the Arcadia too🙂
Ahh, I read T8s were good, that's a shame.

I'll return these then because there are T5 kits that actually include the light fixture in the kit, as with my T8 the issue is I can't plug it in at the moment as I have no housing for it!

I'm no good at metric/imperial translation sorry! I will find a photo, thank you for your insight. Maybe perspex is a good move? But obviously the light won't go through it properly.

charliek

United Kingdom
Looking at length/wattage I would assume it's indeed a T8 lamp. When used with a reflector it should be at 12" inches above substrate. If height is 33 centimeters, not inches then, perhaps, easiest would be to place a wooden plank on side walls and screw in fixture to the plank.

Can you post photos of the lamp and fixture and tortoise enclosure

Hey Alex,

So the issue here is I actually have no way of supplying power to the pins! I also need to suspend it, which is impossible with the Arcadia controller sets as I want a batten of sorts! Arcadia sell T5 full kits but not T8 full kits for some reason! I didn't think you were supposed to put the fluorescent bulbs on the side walls? We considered creating a wooden bracket and drilling it into that.

I will attach a photo today, thank you.

Alex and the Redfoot

Today is my birthday!
Cyprus
Hey Alex,

So the issue here is I actually have no way of supplying power to the pins! I also need to suspend it, which is impossible with the Arcadia controller sets as I want a batten of sorts! Arcadia sell T5 full kits but not T8 full kits for some reason! I didn't think you were supposed to put the fluorescent bulbs on the side walls? We considered creating a wooden bracket and drilling it into that.

I will attach a photo today, thank you.
I believe Arcadia makes T8 lamps only because there are many old vivariums and people do not want or can not replace them with T5 (because of vivarium height, for example). So there is still a demand for the lamps. T5 are superior to T8 so there is no good reason to use T8 for new setups (unless you have very specific requirements).

Because of weak T8 lamps output it was pretty common to mount them to the middle of the back wall. T5 lamp fixtures are usually intended for ceiling installation and lamp output is tweaked for common terrarium height of 24".

charliek

United Kingdom
I believe Arcadia makes T8 lamps only because there are many old vivariums and people do not want or can not replace them with T5 (because of vivarium height, for example). So there is still a demand for the lamps. T5 are superior to T8 so there is no good reason to use T8 for new setups (unless you have very specific requirements).

Because of weak T8 lamps output it was pretty common to mount them to the middle of the back wall. T5 lamp fixtures are usually intended for ceiling installation and lamp output is tweaked for common terrarium height of 24".
Excellent, thank you very much. I'll get on this! How do you suspend yours? Chains and a pole, or drilled into a wooden suspending bracket? But, is this an option if I'm dealing with a yearling? Another poster mentioned not using an open table at this age due to humidity regulation, so how does one go about this? Please and thank you for your support everyone! 🐢💕

Alex and the Redfoot

Today is my birthday!
Cyprus
Excellent, thank you very much. I'll get on this! How do you suspend yours? Chains and a pole, or drilled into a wooden suspending bracket? But, is this an option if I'm dealing with a yearling? Another poster mentioned not using an open table at this age due to humidity regulation, so how does one go about this? Please and thank you for your support everyone! 🐢💕
I use vivariums and simply attach mounting brackets to the ceiling. With Desert 12% lamps and 24" tall vivarium there is no room for chains and such - it's easier to make an elevation on substrate than mess with chains or cords. With 30-36" tall vivariums you have some room for hanging UVB tube. My tortoises vivarium is 30" high but I have built a ramp and placed UVB light over it.

Here is the short outline of my redfoots setup:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ikea-runmaro-enclosure-pains-and-gains.211377/ (a disclaimer: it was fun to build, but I honestly recommend to go with expanded PVC instead).

There is a good reason to make adjustable installation (chains or cords) - you can lower the lamp when UV output degrades instead of replacing the lamp.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yay hopefully you were able to exchange them ok? The prot5 kit is definitely better because like you say, comes with everything needed to mount.

Yeah I wouldn’t house a yearling in an open top, but you can use the frame of a greenhouse topper to hang your lights, or even make your own out of some cheap timber.

What kind of set up is it you have? If it’s not a viv where you can mount to the ceiling, I suggest getting some timer, mount the uv reflector, then on the opposite side screw some hooks in, you can then use these to suspend from chain from whatever frame you go with, something kind of like this photo attached🙂 hang it the one end closet to your basking bulb👍
With the cover just make sure non of it is touching the light fixtures as they can get hot, you want both your uv and any lighting/heating inside the cover itself, hope this helps!😊

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 1