tasty, tasty... bird seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I was doing some things with Carl's baby pool today, drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage since rain is forecast, added a couple plants, and sprinkled some wild bird seed around so hopefully he'll have a tasty treat in a few days.

Well, apparently he wanted a tasty treat right now, because I saw him trying to eat a few seeds. He eventually moved on to his new plant, but I figured I might as well make sure bird seed isn't going to hurt him? The only thing I'd be worried about is that it might be too high in protein for it to be safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoises eat the spilled bird seed all the time. But its only a part of what they eat. I'm sure a bit of seed isn't going to do any damage.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I wasn't such a nice person, the comments I could make about now... :rolleyes: :D

Along with the bottom (which sometimes get plugged), you may want to do a few along the sides just in case you get a really heavy rain.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Remember seeds are undigestable, that is their purpose, to pass through the intestines and grow some where else when it gets pooped out undigested. a few here and there won't hurt anything, but don't make it a regular thing,plus they won't get any nutrition from eating it, since they pass undigested.

Status
Not open for further replies.