Teabag pillow

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
I'm curious about the tea. What benefits does he get from it?
His kidneys are not doing well, it is a special mix to increase diuresis (unfortunately:(). His uric acid is 4X norm:(. I think it's doing the job. I soak him for 30 mins daily in it in the morning and 30 mins daily in clean water in the afternoon. My Vet recomended it, it's polish name is urosan. And it's actually a herb tea.

Kasia

Poland
Composition in latin: Eqiseti herba, betulae folium, chicorii radix, Vitis idaeae folium. Popular herbs, after one 30 min soak yesterday Rufin peed 2 times in the morning today and actually had breakfast (he did not eat much for the last week). I am impressed:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
So the little dude is doing better? :) That's great to hear! He's a cutie!

Kasia

Poland
So the little dude is doing better? :) That's great to hear! He's a cutie!
Today I was at the vets office again, got subQ saline injection and something to get his blood phosphorus up. Every other day he will get his saline injection. I'm glad that I live in Poland and for his operation and current treatment I don't have to pay loads of money. And yep I'm hopefull that he will be OK in couple of weeks;)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Today I was at the vets office again, got subQ saline injection and something to get his blood phosphorus up. Every other day he will get his saline injection. I'm glad that I live in Poland and for his operation and current treatment I don't have to pay loads of money. And yep I'm hopefull that he will be OK in couple of weeks;)
Sounds like good news then. :) Any idea as to how all this happened?

Kasia

Poland
Sounds like good news then. :) Any idea as to how all this happened?
Yes, 25 years of previous keeper bad care :( Unfortunately the bad keeper is my future mother-in-law:( and one tort is still with her:(

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yes, 25 years of previous keeper bad care :( Unfortunately the bad keeper is my future mother-in-law:( and one tort is still with her:(
Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. At least you're more likely to provide some education in the future. :)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Good Job Kasia! You are doing everything you can to bring his health concerns under control! Good on you! Fingers crossed that his tea baths help and he makes a full recovery....

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
His kidneys are not doing well, it is a special mix to increase diuresis (unfortunately:(). His uric acid is 4X norm:(. I think it's doing the job. I soak him for 30 mins daily in it in the morning and 30 mins daily in clean water in the afternoon. My Vet recomended it, it's polish name is urosan. And it's actually a herb tea.

I am wondering where that number came from "uric acid is 4 x norm". Was that a blood value? What was the actual measurement and what is 'normal'?

Kasia

Poland
I am wondering where that number came from "uric acid is 4 x norm". Was that a blood value? What was the actual measurement and what is 'normal'?
Almost 500, vet said that that that around under 150 is normal. I can't remember in what units was it. I trust her judgment, she saw loads of sick torts.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Jep, but hopefully he can live couple years more and feel good.
Try adding horsetail to his diet. Can get the capsules and open them up, use a little on his food.

Now, I know it is listed as do not feed at tortoise table, but in this case, I would say the trade off makes sense.

Alfalfa can help reduce uric acid and works in combination. Cut protein elsewhere to compensate.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Try adding horsetail to his diet. Can get the capsules and open them up, use a little on his food.

Now, I know it is listed as do not feed at tortoise table, but in this case, I would say the trade off makes sense.

Alfalfa can help reduce uric acid and works in combination. Cut protein elsewhere to compensate.
I remember picking horsetail as a kid and playing with it. It used to grow wild in Poland so could even try to feed it fresh added to his salad... But... capsule contents mixed into some yummy treat (Mazuri mash or something he likes) maybe easier.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Kasiu, you are indeed very lucky with your vet situation. Here for all this vet care you'd have to spend thousands.

Kasia

Poland
I remember picking horsetail as a kid and playing with it. It used to grow wild in Poland.
Yes it grows in my garden but I never saw Rufin snacking on it, mayby it does not taste tortie good. I have it as a part of his every day bath Eqiseti herba:)