Teabag pillow

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Jep, in Poland service are all cheap :)
You are so lucky. I just recently lost one of my kittys. She was 17 and I was going to let her go natural but one day she started meowing and walking into walls, looked confused and was obviously in distress. It was sunday night. I took her to vet ER where they did some basic blood work and urine , she had UTI. I didn't want to leave her there but vet said there was a chance things would turn around with aggressive antibiotics and rehydration. I went against my gut feeling and let her stay. They gave her IV fluids and couple of doses of iv antibiotic during her overnight stay. I picked her up at 6:30 the next morning and took her to our family vet who didn't really do anything. The ER doc left her IV in and gave me a whole big bag of fluid to continue later at needed. That morning i knew that I wouldn't be using any of that, she was at the end of her journey. Took her home, kids were at school so I just put her in bed with me and we cuddled for couple of hrs until she passed. All that story to portray what was done: really not much! Physical exam, IV stick, UA, basic blood work, 2 iv antibiotics, bag of iv fluid... 5 hrs in ER kitty cage... 750$!!!! I have 2 more cats at home who need their physical but with blood work its always about 200-250$ for each. Most of average pet keepers can't afford that. So you are EXTREMELY LUCKY to have a vet who is afordable and competent. But you will have to work on your mama-in-law so she doesn't cause damage to her remaining tortoise

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
You are so lucky. I just recently lost one of my kittys. She was 17 and I was going to let her go natural but one day she started meowing and walking into walls, looked confused and was obviously in distress. It was sunday night. I took her to vet ER where they did some basic blood work and urine , she had UTI. I didn't want to leave her there but vet said there was a chance things would turn around with aggressive antibiotics and rehydration. I went against my gut feeling and let her stay. They gave her IV fluids and couple of doses of iv antibiotic during her overnight stay. I picked her up at 6:30 the next morning and took her to our family vet who didn't really do anything. The ER doc left her IV in and gave me a whole big bag of fluid to continue later at needed. That morning i knew that I wouldn't be using any of that, she was at the end of her journey. Took her home, kids were at school so I just put her in bed with me and we cuddled for couple of hrs until she passed. All that story to portray what was done: really not much! Physical exam, IV stick, UA, basic blood work, 2 iv antibiotics, bag of iv fluid... 5 hrs in ER kitty cage... 750$!!!! I have 2 more cats at home who need their physical but with blood work its always about 200-250$ for each. Most of average pet keepers can't afford that. So you are EXTREMELY LUCKY to have a vet who is afordable and competent. But you will have to work on your mama-in-law so she doesn't cause damage to her remaining tortoise
Awww, that was so heart-breaking; my eyes filled with tears! It reminded me of when my guinea pig passed away, I was holding him so he could pass in my arms. I just love those little dudes, but I just wish they lived longer!

Kasia

Poland
I am really sorry for your loss Pearly :(:(:( poor thing :(. I know I am very lucky but even if I had to borrow money I would not leave an animal without help :( For some even that what I gave for the service will be a "waste of money" and that's sad.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am really sorry for your loss Pearly :(:(:( poor thing :(. I know I am very lucky but even if I had to borrow money I would not leave an animal without help :( For some even that what I gave for the service will be a "waste of money" and that's sad.
And that's exactly what I did! There are credit companies that offer loans for health care, dental care or vet medicine. Thank God for that. I dziękuję, Kasiu.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Today I was at the vets office again, got subQ saline injection and something to get his blood phosphorus up. Every other day he will get his saline injection. I'm glad that I live in Poland and for his operation and current treatment I don't have to pay loads of money. And yep I'm hopefull that he will be OK in couple of weeks;)
I thought the objective was to bring phosphorous down because the kidneys retain too much when they are damaged?

Kasia

Poland
I thought the objective was to bring phosphorous down because the kidneys retain too much when they are damaged?
From what I know there is a correct blood calcium/phosphorus ratio value. Blood tests showed that that’s the way to go. He had liver problems as well and in the end supporting liver was the crucial part of his treatment.

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
So cute!:D My tort hates soakings of any kind... :( But really cute anyway! :)