Tegu or Monitor?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Are you in East Texas with high humidity, or are you in the desert in West Texas? This might be a factor in choosing a species. Also, how old are you? Are we advising an adult here, or a teenager?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I second Tom's opinion about Blueys and Beardies being amazing pets. They have so much personality!

Also bear in mind that even the sweetest most calm most tame lizard can turn on you and disfigure you in an instant.

coltonspidey

Are you in East Texas with high humidity, or are you in the desert in West Texas? This might be a factor in choosing a species. Also, how old are you? Are we advising an adult here, or a teenager?
North/Central Texas and I'm 16

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Question, are you going to be going away to college in a couple years? I had a beardie, an iguana and a leopard gecko that I moved with me about 5 times in 6 years and it wasn't easy to find reasonable housing that would allow them and have enough space.

coltonspidey

Question, are you going to be going away to college in a couple years? I had a beardie, an iguana and a leopard gecko that I moved with me about 5 times in 6 years and it wasn't easy to find reasonable housing that would allow them and have enough space.
That's true I didn't think of that

coltonspidey

I might get a skink or beardie in that case

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I might get a skink or beardie in that case

beardies are awesome and if you research you can create rock's out of styrofoam grout and a sealer. i've done it before it's pretty fun actually

you can make stuff like this i got this picture from google

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 12

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Good call, especially if your parents wont be thrilled to watch over a BIG lizard while you are away at school.

This is Zola, he was my little buddy for years. I got him when I was 16 and he was already an adult. I'm 29 now and he passed away in October.

coltonspidey

Good call, especially if your parents wont be thrilled to watch over a BIG lizard while you are away at school.

This is Zola, he was my little buddy for years. I got him when I was 16 and he was already an adult. I'm 29 now and he passed away in October.

He was good looking, sorry for your loss

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you

Your welcome. Believe me I understand your fascination with the giants. I love them too.

I just hope that our comments help you pick the right species for you at this time in your life, whatever species that may end up being.

coltonspidey

Your welcome. Believe me I understand your fascination with the giants. I love them too.

I just hope that our comments help you pick the right species for you at this time in your life, whatever species that may end up being.
Do you think a skink would be better than beardie? I want a animal that I can regularly hold and won't be a fuss to get

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My beardie was wiggly as a youngin' but as an adult he loved just sitting on me and chilling. My skinks were always personable but they liked to ride around in my sweatshirt pocket or hood more than sitting on my lap and being pet.

Both were quite inquisitive and friendly. I saw the beardie more often because my skinks liked to hide out most of the day.

Trying to think of other comparisons, I feel like beardie poop smells worse. Skinks feel neat, kind of snakey. Neither ever refused a meal. Beardie was tub trained to not poop in his enclosure, the skinks pooped where ever they felt like it.

Ummm...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think a skink would be better than beardie? I want a animal that I can regularly hold and won't be a fuss to get

That is a tough one. I agree with everything LaDuke said. A skink will be more active and want to move around when you have him out. A beardie is more content to "perch" more of the time, although they will move around sometimes too. So do you want a big lizard to perch on your shoulder and watch TV with you, or do want want a more active lizard that wants to walk around and explore. I think a BTS is easier to care for since you don't need indoor UV or insects. Since you already have a tortoise, the salad portion of the beardie diet is no issue for you.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Another +1 for beardies in my opinion is that there are SO MANY of them that are in rescues and needing homes. Maybe consider rescuing? Especially if you want to get a larger lizard not too far down the road, why not start with an adult beardie or BTS from a rescue? It can live out its golden years with you in a loving home and give you plenty of lizard experience.

coltonspidey

Another +1 for beardies in my opinion is that there are SO MANY of them that are in rescues and needing homes. Maybe consider rescuing? Especially if you want to get a larger lizard not too far down the road, why not start with an adult beardie or BTS from a rescue? It can live out its golden years with you in a loving home and give you plenty of lizard experience.
Thanks you guys. I just want a reptile that is like a "companion"