Temperature advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

peepat

5 Year Member
I have a marginated tortoise. Most people and advise that I have received say that the basking temp should be 30 degrees Celsius. I find that George just doesn't seem to find this warm enough.

I've come home after a really hot day and found the temp at 38 and he's happy basking in at and really active with a lot of roaming around. Is this an ok temperature to keep his hot end of the tank at???

He is in a 3ft table top and ranges from 38 right down to 20 in the cool end. George is almost a year old. Just concerned and don't want to be over heating him.

Any advice is more than welcome.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
He will move out of the heat if it's too hot and he has room to do so... and it sounds like he has. It might be that your thermometer isn't as accurate as yiu thought. I wouldn't worry too much if he is otherwise healthy and happy :)

peepat

5 Year Member
That sounds reassuring so thank you. I have an electronic monitor both ends which I keep on through the day so I've been able to monitor his responses to it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
peepat said:
I have a marginated tortoise. Most people and advise that I have received say that the basking temp should be 30 degrees Celsius. I find that George just doesn't seem to find this warm enough.

I've come home after a really hot day and found the temp at 38 and he's happy basking in at and really active with a lot of roaming around. Is this an ok temperature to keep his hot end of the tank at???

He is in a 3ft table top and ranges from 38 right down to 20 in the cool end. George is almost a year old. Just concerned and don't want to be over heating him.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Marginateds generally like a very hot basking spot. 30c (86f) is cooler than most prefer. Especially adults. You are right that he probably likes around 38c (100f) better. This is more in tune to what the basking temperatures that they favor. Usually within a range of 35-40c (95-104f). 20c (68f) is okay for a cooler temperature. In the range 22-26c (72-79f) is a bit more ideal for the cooler end. But if he is active and willingly moves freely from one end to another I wouldn't fret to much about the ambient temperatures. As long as he is not spending all of his time under the basking light or at the opposite end always trying to cool down.

peepat

5 Year Member
Thank you for that reassurance, I feel a lot better knowing that he is ok in hotter temperatures. He is loving the temps and being very lively so I'm happy.

He just alternates between food and basking and then has the occasional roam around the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.