Temperature?

Gemmay

hi everyone

Sorry of this seems a silly question, but I'm confused. where do I put the thermometer heat sensor, if I lay it on the slate directly under the basking light then the temperature reads upto 34 degrees. if I attach it to the wall then the temperature is around 29 and I have no idea which one I should be using, so I can make sure the temperature is correct.

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The best way to check the temperature in a habitat is with a temperature gun. What you're using only measures one temperature. You want it to be about 100F or so directly under the light, fading to about 80F on one end and room temperature on the other end.

Gemmay

The best way to check the temperature in a habitat is with a temperature gun. What you're using only measures one temperature. You want it to be about 100F or so directly under the light, fading to about 80F on one end and room temperature on the other end.
Hey Yvonne

Thank you. I have another ceramic heater with no light in the middle with runs around 25 degrees and this is attached to a thermostats and then nothing at the furthest end.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

NO question is ever "silly" when the subject is new to you.:) Keep asking questions when you need help.:D

Please post pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure: this will earn you more help.:)

Gemmay

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

NO question is ever "silly" when the subject is new to you.:) Keep asking questions when you need help.:D

Please post pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure: this will earn you more help.:)
Hi Gillian

Thank you, so much. It is very new to me we've only had her just over a week and I want to make sure I get thinks right so she is happy and healthy :)

Gemmay

This is her enclosure, I appreciate it could be bigger but at the moment whilst she is with me this is the biggest I can have. Once my brother is back from tour he will be able to build her a much bigger enclosure as well as be able to house her outside in the summer time. In the bottom right hand corner she does have a log which she can go under and hide or her preference is to climb all over it. I will also be going to to ikea and be getting a few more bits and pieces at the weekend so any recommendations of things to out in there I'd be grateful for.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    917.6 KB · Views: 25

Gemmay

And this is Heeby.... (I have no idea if she is a girl or boy)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    709.5 KB · Views: 13