Temps Over 100F+ for over 2 days, how to cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
hi guys i know i should keep my Leos at high temps arrouns 85 - 90 and basking spot around 100F, well the temps here in PR have been at 95+ for 2 days ive been moving my Leo's tank to the hallway where there is some AC runoff from my room and ive gotten it down to 85F again but that is a temp solution.

i was thinking of adding a PC fan on top of the screen lid?? taking air out from the tank so it wont blow all the peatmoss around and the cooling being a bit more passive, but i dont know if that will lower the temp to much or of the cool breeze will make my torts sick since i spray them a lot and the humidity is at 80% inside the tank.

what do you guys think?

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
I would advise NOT to put a fan near the enclosure.
Drafts(cold air) and humid places can cause respiratory infections among tortoises.
Rather than having the fan or A/C near them, why don't you give them a misting with some cool(not cold) water.
Also, get a thermometer or probe to check the temps in the enclosure :)
Leos are from Africa, and their natural habitat does get to heats that high. They should be fine, but yes, do mist them if you are concerned. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are indoors and the room temp is 95, just shut the heat lamps off and spray them every once in a while. Its perfectly fine for them. Won't hurt a thing. Just don't let the sun come through a window and get them even hotter. Be careful they don't get too cool at night with all the evaporation.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
yes ive been misting them a lot and i had the lamps turn off this past 2 days and just left them with a flourecent desktop lamp just for ilumination. thx for the fast replies i worry about evrything lol is that they are so small!! one of them still has the egg tooth

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are you measuring the temeratures inside their enclosure? If it's 95+ outside and you are keeping the tortoises humidity high, I would think the temperature in the enclosure would be a bit lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.