Testudo seed mix

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just ordered one pound of testudo seed mix from Tortoise Supply. I'm going to be feeding it to a sulcata. I was just wondering for days that I don't get out and collect fresh weeds, would this be a good alternative. Was also wondering is this something that comes up every year(I have a real winter here) or does it need to be replanted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grab handfuls and cut it with scissors. I put the cut handfuls into a large bucket or tub until I have enough to feed to however many tortoises I'm feeding. It is an excellent thing to feed your tortoises. The radishes come up first for me and I get a couple of cuttings from them. By that time, other things like Italian dandelion, clover and fennel start popping up. Over the long term the italian dandelion and celery seem to win out over everything else. Mine goes dormant in winter, but comes back like crazy every spring and fall. We get a little below freezing on an occasional winter night here, but it never snows or gets really cold like it does in MI, so I don't know what it will do in your climate.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I grab handfuls and cut it with scissors. I put the cut handfuls into a large bucket or tub until I have enough to feed to however many tortoises I'm feeding. It is an excellent thing to feed your tortoises. The radishes come up first for me and I get a couple of cuttings from them. By that time, other things like Italian dandelion, clover and fennel start popping up. Over the long term the italian dandelion and celery seem to win out over everything else. Mine goes dormant in winter, but comes back like crazy every spring and fall. We get a little below freezing on an occasional winter night here, but it never snows or gets really cold like it does in MI, so I don't know what it will do in your climate.
Thanks Tom. It sounds like really good stuff. Can't wait for it to show up in the mailbox to start planting it. Thanks again.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I was going to be using a large planter I'm not sure if I'm going to have one built or just buy one of those plastic kiddie swimming pools and drill a few holes in it for drainage. I was wondering if someone could tell me what a good soil depth for this seed would be. And also if there is a certain brand gardening soil I should use, and should I use any kind of fertilizer or not.

daniellenc

Maryland
I plant them in about an inch deep but with 12 inches of soil in planters. In the ground they just go in about an inch deep. Then I use plain organic soil but mix in organic plant food which helps. No fertilizer at all. Last year I used compost from a neighbor just make sure there’s no chemicals.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I plant them in about an inch deep but with 12 inches of soil in planters. In the ground they just go in about an inch deep. Then I use plain organic soil but mix in organic plant food which helps. No fertilizer at all. Last year I used compost from a neighbor just make sure there’s no chemicals.
Thank you so much. I've never done any kind of gardening, so this a little new to me. Thinking about putting in some grape vines and maybe even planting a mulberry tree yet this year

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much. I've never done any kind of gardening, so this a little new to me. Thinking about putting in some grape vines and maybe even planting a mulberry tree yet this year
I use Kellogg's soil. I mix it in with some native dirt and I churn in some fertilizer every year in spring. I prep the soil and water it thoroughly. Then I scatter the seeds and scatter another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil on top of the seeds. Then I water. A little water every hour or so. Do not let the top layer of soil dry out during germination or sprouting. My climate is very hot and dry, so I have to water more than most. Keep an eye on your top layer and water as needed. Once the sprouts are about 6 inches tall, I water just morning and night. Once the sprouts are about 12" tall, I take my first cutting. Like this:
IMG_5456.JPG

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I use Kellogg's soil. I mix it in with some native dirt and I churn in some fertilizer every year in spring. I prep the soil and water it thoroughly. Then I scatter the seeds and scatter another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil on top of the seeds. Then I water. A little water every hour or so. Do not let the top layer of soil dry out during germination or sprouting. My climate is very hot and dry, so I have to water more than most. Keep an eye on your top layer and water as needed. Once the sprouts are about 6 inches tall, I water just morning and night. Once the sprouts are about 12" tall, I take my first cutting. Like this:
View attachment 238585
Thanks Tom. That is a very impressive bed of tortoise food. I cannot wait to plant this stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jay the only thing I would add is to read the instructions about how thinly to spread the seeds. Most first time gardeners pile it on this; those seedlings need space to grow!

I am guilty of this every time! I could probably do half of the seed I use.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
View attachment 238585
What an awesome idea, I think I'm going to attempt something like this inside a kiddie pool.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The soil will compact over time, so fill it all the way to the brim when you start it.
Ok thanks, do you know a good place to find hibiscus plants that aren't treated? I live in ga and only place I can find them is home depot, and I don't wanna use then because I'm sure they use pesticides.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks, do you know a good place to find hibiscus plants that aren't treated? I live in ga and only place I can find them is home depot, and I don't wanna use then because I'm sure they use pesticides.
I don't. In some areas they have organic nurseries. If not, you'll have to grow your own from seed or cuttings from existing mature plants.

@Will demonstrated on a thread yesterday that you can find almost anything on the internet now. Maybe an Amazon search will turn up sources for plants grown without pesticides?

I grow my own Afircan hibiscus every year, but they die off as soon as night temps dip into the low 40s in fall.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I don't. In some areas they have organic nurseries. If not, you'll have to grow your own from seed or cuttings from existing mature plants.

@Will demonstrated on a thread yesterday that you can find almost anything on the internet now. Maybe an Amazon search will turn up sources for plants grown without pesticides?

I grow my own Afircan hibiscus every year, but they die off as soon as night temps dip into the low 40s in fall.

Yeah, they are called "organic" outside pride has many.
https://www.outsidepride.com/search?terms=organic
and another
https://www.groworganic.com/

I bought many seeds, they also sell plants, for a certain northern part of Kapidolo Farms, maybe there are photos somewhere here in the giant TFO mass of threads? @Yvonne G

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Jay the only thing I would add is to read the instructions about how thinly to spread the seeds. Most first time gardeners pile it on this; those seedlings need space to grow!
I could so see me doing that too. Thank you for the heads up.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

You can try planting okra from seed; while you’re finding your hibiscus or waiting for one to grow out its pesticides. You’re in a good place for it. They are in the same family and they grow BIG, as I’m sure any southerner knows!

I can find plants already started at my nursery; it’s popular here. But it’s very easy to get it shipped from Burpee Seeds.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You can try planting okra from seed; while you’re finding your hibiscus or waiting for one to grow out its pesticides. You’re in a good place for it. They are in the same family and they grow BIG, as I’m sure any southerner knows!

I can find plants already started at my nursery; it’s popular here. But it’s very easy to get it shipped from Burpee Seeds.
Thanks! Okra does grow great here I had a one a few yrs back that grew 16ft!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If I got a hibiscus at let's say home depot, how long would out take before it grows out the pesticides and is safe for my tort?