Texas Heat

Connie Jo

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
We are expecting 105 - 107 here in Boerne, TX and I was wondering if I needed to bring my Hermann’s inside for a few days. She buried herself in the dirt but comes out when I call to Feed her. She has been out most of the summer & I have water for her

Relic

Here
It was 103 in my slice of hell...Texas today. I have a yellowfoot outside and spray the enclosure down once or twice a day, provide plenty of shade, and lots of sloppy wet areas to rest in. Not sure about Hermann's though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are expecting 105 - 107 here in Boerne, TX and I was wondering if I needed to bring my Hermann’s inside for a few days. She buried herself in the dirt but comes out when I call to Feed her. She has been out most of the summer & I have water for her
They survive temps like that in AZ and here in the CA desert, but I'd rather bring them inside if you have a suitable enclosure.

Connie Jo

Texas
It was 103 in my slice of hell...Texas today. I have a yellowfoot outside and spray the enclosure down once or twice a day, provide plenty of shade, and lots of sloppy wet areas to rest in. Not sure about Hermann's though.
I know, isn’t it crazy! Thanks for your reply, even tho we have air conditioning, I think I will bring her inside for a couple days.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would just be careful INSIDE with a/c and dramatically cooler temps. Here in Md, we have had 30 plus days above 90 & humidity close to rain. Our Sully just finds a shady spot (much cooler in shade) and honkers down. A nice shady damp to wet spot, with a hide, seems better than inside in colder temps. BUT, if u don’t have a suitable shady wet spot, i guess an inside enclosure at proper temps is better. Just don’t create drastic temp changes.

But it sure is hot ur way!

Connie Jo

Texas
I would just be careful INSIDE with a/c and dramatically cooler temps. Here in Md, we have had 30 plus days above 90 & humidity close to rain. Our Sully just finds a shady spot (much cooler in shade) and honkers down. A nice shady damp to wet spot, with a hide, seems better than inside in colder temps. BUT, if u don’t have a suitable shady wet spot, i guess an inside enclosure at proper temps is better. Just don’t create drastic temp changes.

But it sure is hot ur way!
Thank you for your suggestions. I think I will just be sure she gets sprayed a couple times a day. I have a dog house but she won’t use it. I have to keep moving it where she digs in.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you for your suggestions. I think I will just be sure she gets sprayed a couple times a day. I have a dog house but she won’t use it. I have to keep moving it where she digs in.

Just be sure to check mid-afternoon. Usually the hottest parts of the day. Maybe put your sprinkler on a timer. Trust but verify.