Location (City and/or State)
Clarksburg California
Hi everyone I have a Sonoran desert tortoise and I have fallen in love with the Gopherus genus! I am wondering today about Texas tortoises! What are they like? Are they a desert species? I live in Cali can I adopt one potentially? Can they live with desert tortoises? And any other info you may have on them they seem like a fascinating species and I am trying to learn more! ? thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One really should keep different species separated, but this isn't quite as important as keeping species from different continents is. The thing to remember is when you keep two tortoises in the same yard you always have a dominant and a submissive. Besides that, tortoises are solitary animals and don't want to share the territory with another tortoise. Another thing to think about - Texas tortoises are much smaller than desert tortoises.

Clarksburg California
One really should keep different species separated, but this isn't quite as important as keeping species from different continents is. The thing to remember is when you keep two tortoises in the same yard you always have a dominant and a submissive. Besides that, tortoises are solitary animals and don't want to share the territory with another tortoise. Another thing to think about - Texas tortoises are much smaller than desert tortoises.
Okay thanks! I am new to all this! But could one even get a Texas tortoise through a rescue in California as they are not native here? And is it likely?Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not very likely. I operated a tortoise rescue for 25 or 30 years and in all that time I took in only a small handful of them.

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
They are also a protected species I would make sure it’s even possible to have one where you are. I know here in Texas it’s a negative. I don’t know if that applies elsewhere honestly.