The "10 gallons per inch of turtle rule" is it really good?

Tortoisesturtles

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have some questions about this rule and want to hear all of ur opinions about it.

Do u think this is a good rule for turtles?

Is it really enough?

What about all the species of turtles is this rule ok for every species?

A slider will need more swim space than a spotted turtle for example. The spotted turtle needs more floorspace.

A musk turtle that is 4 inches and a slider that is 4 inches should they both have 40 gallons?

I think this rule is out of date personally.
We keep tortoises in big pens atleast most of the forum members. Shouldn't a turtle get the same amount of space?

Tortoises and turtles like space so should the rule not better be way more gallons per inch?

Does someone know what the thinking behind this rule was or is?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Another friend from Michigan...! Yay!

We need to be careful when looking at something using metrics. They are 'rules of thumb" so to speak and not correct for every exercise, regardless of the subject.

There are about a million metrics for different parts of Construction but one has to be diligent that the metric is applicable or adjustments need to be made for special circumstances.

I kept multiple 50 gal tanks for decades and typically had 4-5 guys in each, sized 4" and less. I watched stress levels and food intake to help decide densities..............but like DD says, Size Matters!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have some questions about this rule and want to hear all of ur opinions about it.

Do u think this is a good rule for turtles?

Is it really enough?

What about all the species of turtles is this rule ok for every species?

A slider will need more swim space than a spotted turtle for example. The spotted turtle needs more floorspace.

A musk turtle that is 4 inches and a slider that is 4 inches should they both have 40 gallons?

I think this rule is out of date personally.
We keep tortoises in big pens atleast most of the forum members. Shouldn't a turtle get the same amount of space?

Tortoises and turtles like space so should the rule not better be way more gallons per inch?

Does someone know what the thinking behind this rule was or is?
This rule has been around as long as I've been keeping turtles (A Loooooonnngg time!) I have no idea how anyone ever came up with it, but it has been repeated so much and so commonly. I have never seen any validity to it in any way. As you point out correctly, there are so many variables to consider. 5 - 2" baby painted turtles would do fine in a 100 gallon tank, but 1 - 10" cooter could barely turn around and should never be kept in anything close to that size.

Forget that rule and do your best to discredit it anywhere you see it! Common sense and some knowledge of the species involved is needed.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
I pay attention to floor space and volume if they are active aquatic turtles. Turtles like Spotted turtles, I pay attention more to floor space than water volume.

Euro, Painted turtles, Sliders, you need to pay attention to both floor space and water volume.