10 gallons

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I am looking to buy 1 or 2 hatchling turtles. Right now I have a 10 gallon with 2 bamboo plants in eco-substrate and a a few guppies. I want to make a turtle tank out of it. Should I break it down completely, or can I keep the eco-substrate and do a water change? The hatchling I am thinking about is the Cooter or Stinkpot. This will be a start up tank for 6-12 months, will then be using a 30 gallon long.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you not able to simply start with the 30 gallon tank? " In my opinion" the 10 gallon tank seems simply to small..... but wait a bit and see what others will suggest as well :D

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
ascott said:
Are you not able to simply start with the 30 gallon tank? " In my opinion" the 10 gallon tank seems simply to small..... but wait a bit and see what others will suggest as well :D

I agree, try something like a 30 or 40 or 55. My RF is 4 1/4" and right now she is in a 40 gallon turtle tank, which is nice because she has room to move around. I am going to build a bigger on later on, but for now is good where she is at. My russian is in a 40 gallon plastic container until I can get a tank for her. Personally tanks help keep the humidity in for my RF.

Also the turtle tank is wide and not long, so I could put more stuff in it.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
You can probably find a cheap used tank at a garage sale or online. It doesn't have to cost a lot really.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would go with a cement mixing tub from one of the home improvement centers, they are usually around 15 dollars or so and should make a very nice home. just an option.

JacksonR

5 Year Member
I keep my hatchling indian spotted pond in a 10 gallon...my juvie alligator snapper as well. Of course that isnt a permanent enclosure. They get BIG.

jfb2733

5 Year Member
Claymont, DE
The to gallon is good for now. I have a 15 galon with a stinkpot and a baby pink bely side neck. The fish you have should be ok with either species that you have been thinking about. Mine seem to leave the guppies in the tank with them alone. I have actualy started adding decorative fish as well since the guppies were feeders. I going to try and include a picture of my setup. If you decide on a single stinkpot the 10 gallon setup should be fine for quite some time since it is a relatively small turtle. The cooter on the other hand does reach a decent size and a needs large basking area. My girlfriend has a cooter and it loves to bask just about all day. Its the only water I know that doesnt run for the water when you walk up to the tank. Hope this has been helpful.

Attachments

• 2011-09-10_22-06-47_392.jpg
    2011-09-10_22-06-47_392.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 29

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The only thing I ever use 10-gallon tanks for is small fish like bettas, guppies, and neons, or small amphibians, like dwarf African clawed frogs or eastern newts. I wouldn't keep any turtle - not even a baby one - in a tank that small. If I had to start small and upgrade later, I would go with a 30-gallon long for now, and then a 55- or 70-gallon tank later, maybe a year from now. Of course, ideally I would just start with the tank I wanted them to live in as adults anyway.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
get a stinkpot but a ten g is good for a hatchling but once they get older its 10 gallons for every inch of turtle and i think a stinkpot would be best because they are hardy and they stay small roughly 4 to 5 inches at max. So you need a 40 to 50 gallon tank at the end i would buy it instead of wasting money on several tanks. Alos do your homework aquatic turtles can be fragile because of filtration and lighting. You need a heat lamp, UVB/UVA light bulb, proper basking area, and a very good filteration sytem( goood rule of thum is 20 more gallon filter than what you have as a tank if you would like ill do a youtube video on it. Good luck i lke stinpots and they are great starter turtles and Pray about it because that is the best to do.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
jfb2733 said:
The to gallon is good for now. I have a 15 galon with a stinkpot and a baby pink bely side neck. The fish you have should be ok with either species that you have been thinking about. Mine seem to leave the guppies in the tank with them alone. I have actualy started adding decorative fish as well since the guppies were feeders. I going to try and include a picture of my setup. If you decide on a single stinkpot the 10 gallon setup should be fine for quite some time since it is a relatively small turtle. The cooter on the other hand does reach a decent size and a needs large basking area. My girlfriend has a cooter and it loves to bask just about all day. Its the only water I know that doesnt run for the water when you walk up to the tank. Hope this has been helpful.

I decided to go with a Texas Map turtle. I purchased it from Turtle Source. My tank is all ready except for the basking platform. do you like the one you have? I was going to get a piece of cork and wedge it in.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Very good choice and the cork wood is a very good choice also congratulations on the turtle and if you have any questions just ask I'm huge into water turtles :D
I would Thank the LORD for your turtle :)

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Turtle Guru said:
Very good choice and the cork wood is a very good choice also congratulations on the turtle and if you have any questions just ask I'm huge into water turtles :D
I would Thank the LORD for your turtle :)

I purchased a 40 gallon tank today. my texas map should be here tomorrow. Right now I have 20 pounds of flourite in it. I can use another bag or two. Is this a good substrate to use? I have two bamboo plants that were growing well in my 10 gallon. What other substrate is good, if any? Thanks, Kevin

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I never used it because i have seen it and it looks like little tiny rocks (very fine) and i have watched water turtles eat pebbles to rocks almost the size of there head. I prefer that. I like the bambo plan that sounds really good i bet that is going to be cool. Im ordering a musk turtle off there today or tommorow ill have him by the end of the week. Also a 40 gallon is a nice update but remember 10 gallons for every 1 inch of shell. Well good luck and i hope i was help. If you have anymore questions just ask. im here to help. Thank the LORD for Everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.