The babies are here!!!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey all, ok so the two little leopards arrived this morning. I've soaked them and have them in a lidded plastic clear tote until the larger of the two's owner gets here. The little one was upside down and stressed upon arrival but the big one was ready to explore and seems completely unstressed. The little one is finally starting to explore a bit now. She has a bite of diced strawberry and sat in the water dish for a bit by herself. The temp box had a heat lamp going to get the soggy sphagnum peat warm and putting moisture into the air before I put them in. Now I have a 60w CHE sitting on top to maintain the temp until I get back from my errands and my friend picks up her tort. The temp in the tub is 92 and I can see the humidity on the inside of the tub but I don't have a humidity have yet. It's on my to do list list for today.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383672863.231141.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383672883.263499.jpg
I had no idea the darker one would be so much bigger! Lol

OH!!! Recommendations for humidity gage/thermometer unit. I know the pucks suck. Thanks!

Humidity rising. ImageUploadedByTortForum1383673236.994854.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They look nice. Just a question, did you do a test run to see how hot that box will heat up to when ran for hours?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I can't get it warmer than 93. But this is extremely temporary though. My friend is picking up her tort in a couple of hours. Mine little one on the other hand will be in here until this evening. Unfortunately I don't have anyway to gage humidity until I get the gage later today.

I know I need a hotter CHE for her bigger chamber because the 60w isn't enough to keep anything any bigger, warm enough.

This box has been at temp since early this morning while I waited on their arrival, so it's stable. I will be helping my friend get everything she needs for her tort today, so her baby has yet another trip to make.

I've spotted them both drink from the dish. And the smaller one (mine) has taken a couple of bites of the diced berry.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383682342.925594.jpg
She is so tiny!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Congrats! Very cute!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383691408.280259.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383691435.412025.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383691498.147205.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383691527.479578.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383691552.245699.jpgthe size difference blows me away. They are clutch mates!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Should I be concerned of her tiny size compared to her sibling? They are about 4 months old I was told.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
They do that. A lot. For whatever reason, they grow like the patterns on their shells, very differently. Did they get their warm soak spa time? Are they active, eating? I would not worry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Woohoo, theys here:D. It be s/he was the last one to get to food, or could be just because:)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
She is the cutest little thing ever. She is eating. She walks around a bit but has been sleeping a lot. I'm sure she is exhausted. The big one is very active but he hasn't eaten that I've noticed.