The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise

Vampire1330

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Hi, can someone advise me how many hours a day should my uvb light be turned on? I do not have time to bring my tortoise out doors.

Vampire1330

Singapore
My humidity level drops whenever my basking light is turned on.
Can I put a fogger or humidifier inside?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I think it's all described in details in the original post of this thread. Unless you cover whole enclosure or use closed-type (like vivarium) - you will be endlessly trying to maintain proper humidity. Usually humidifier or misters are not required, wet low substrate layer is enough.

Vampire1330

Singapore
Can the star tortoise go for an open top tank when it becomes an adult or it is best to keep it in a closed vivarium(same as hatchlings environment)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can the star tortoise go for an open top tank when it becomes an adult or it is best to keep it in a closed vivarium(same as hatchlings environment)
It is easier to maintain the correct heat and humidity with a closed chamber for any age.

Having said that, adults can be kept with open tops if the room conditions are similar to what it needs to remain healthy. An open top in Singapore in summer might be okay. Only your thermometer and hygrometer can tell you. An open topped enclosure for a star tortoise in London in winter is probably not going to work well.

Vampire1330

Singapore
It is easier to maintain the correct heat and humidity with a closed chamber for any age.

Having said that, adults can be kept with open tops if the room conditions are similar to what it needs to remain healthy. An open top in Singapore in summer might be okay. Only your thermometer and hygrometer can tell you. An open topped enclosure for a star tortoise in London in winter is probably not going to work well.
Thanks for the reply.

Singapore is hot and humid almost every single day.

The reason I'm asking if I could go for an open top is because I cant find anybody selling a bigger tank or container here. The biggest I could find is a 90 x 45 x 45 cm by Reptizoo :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply.

Singapore is hot and humid almost every single day.

The reason I'm asking if I could go for an open top is because I cant find anybody selling a bigger tank or container here. The biggest I could find is a 90 x 45 x 45 cm by Reptizoo :(
You might have to build your own. Or you can get a portable green house tent.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Is it okay if I use a fogger and blow it into the enclosure from the top mesh for 60 minutes every 24 hours?
1. Unless you cover the enclosure, this would not help much. You will make only top layers of substrate and you tortoise wet, then hot air from the lamps and heater will go up and take all the humidity away. Also, breathing microscopic water particles in the air is not a healthy thing for the tortoise.
2. You can put large plastic box over the top of your enclosure, so all the lights and heating stay underneath. Then pour some water in the corners, this will make lower substrate layer wet. This will provide long lasting ambient humidity source and the plastic box cover will help to keep it inside the enclosure.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it okay if I use a fogger and blow it into the enclosure from the top mesh for 60 minutes every 24 hours?
You can run one in the room, but don't blow it directly into the tortoise enclosure.

Vampire1330

Singapore
Hi, can someone help answer my questions below? Thanks.

1. My Orchid Bark substrate is about 1+ inch thick. Is this good enough? My stars always like to dig to the bottom of the tank and they don't know when to come back up.
2. Do star tortoise lay eggs in orchid bark or does it have to be soil?
3. How do you get rid of drain flies in the tank? I only have a 2 cm gap opening above my tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, can someone help answer my questions below? Thanks.

1. My Orchid Bark substrate is about 1+ inch thick. Is this good enough? My stars always like to dig to the bottom of the tank and they don't know when to come back up.
2. Do star tortoise lay eggs in orchid bark or does it have to be soil?
3. How do you get rid of drain flies in the tank? I only have a 2 cm gap opening above my tank.
1. No. You need 3-4 inches to maintain the right humidity. Its also not normal for stars to dig down. Do you have hide areas and plants? A humid hide? Maybe show us a picture of the enclosure and we can make suggestions for improvement. If they are digging down and not coming back up, then something is likely wrong. It could be the temperatures, lighting, lack of hides, lack of plants, enclosure placement, etc...
2. Mine live outside and make their nests in the native dirt. Orchid bark won't hold a flask shaped hole very well, so it won't work. I would not use bought-in-a-bag soil because there is no way to know what is in it, and it might be something dangerous. For indoor laying you will need an area that is at least 12-18 inches deep and has native dirt, or possibly a coco coir sand mix, or something that will hold a tunnel. If the female doesn't find your laying area suitable, she may retain the eggs, get egg bound, and possibly die.
3. I don't. They are harmless detrivores. If left alone they will balance out and their number will reduce. You can boil, bake, freeze, or replace your substrate periodically, but they will continually return. Sticky fly strips can sometimes help reduce their numbers too.

Vampire1330

Singapore
please see attached pictures.
My tank size is 90 x 45 x 45cm
UVB is from zoo med.
UVA is reptizoo 75W
There is 1 in the hide and the other is behind one of the plants. Both are about 2.5 to 3 inches.
IMG_8460.jpeg

1. No. You need 3-4 inches to maintain the right humidity. Its also not normal for stars to dig down. Do you have hide areas and plants? A humid hide? Maybe show us a picture of the enclosure and we can make suggestions for improvement. If they are digging down and not coming back up, then something is likely wrong. It could be the temperatures, lighting, lack of hides, lack of plants, enclosure placement, etc...
2. Mine live outside and make their nests in the native dirt. Orchid bark won't hold a flask shaped hole very well, so it won't work. I would not use bought-in-a-bag soil because there is no way to know what is in it, and it might be something dangerous. For indoor laying you will need an area that is at least 12-18 inches deep and has native dirt, or possibly a coco coir sand mix, or something that will hold a tunnel. If the female doesn't find your laying area suitable, she may retain the eggs, get egg bound, and possibly die.
3. I don't. They are harmless detrivores. If left alone they will balance out and their number will reduce. You can boil, bake, freeze, or replace your substrate periodically, but they will continually return. Sticky fly strips can sometimes help reduce their numbers too.

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
please see attached pictures.
My tank size is 90 x 45 x 45cm
UVB is from zoo med.
UVA is reptizoo 75W
There is 1 in the hide and the other is behind one of the plants. Both are about 2.5 to 3 inches.
View attachment 364348
I can't see your thermometer in the picture of the enclosure. Where is it 37.9C in this enclosure? Where is the thermometer?

Definitely double or triple the amount of substrate. The nice thing is that as long as you are soaking tortoises daily, they will poop and pee in the soak water and your substrate will last for a long long time. You could even transfer it into their next larger enclosure.

How many tortoises and what is the weight of each in grams?

This tank is only big enough for a tiny hatchling.

What is the bulb on the left?

Is the bulb on the right a spot bulb?

What are you doing for night heat? It needs to stay above 26C at night with the lights off.

Vampire1330

Singapore
I can't see your thermometer in the picture of the enclosure. Where is it 37.9C in this enclosure? Where is the thermometer?

Definitely double or triple the amount of substrate. The nice thing is that as long as you are soaking tortoises daily, they will poop and pee in the soak water and your substrate will last for a long long time. You could even transfer it into their next larger enclosure.

How many tortoises and what is the weight of each in grams?

This tank is only big enough for a tiny hatchling.

What is the bulb on the left?

Is the bulb on the right a spot bulb?

What are you doing for night heat? It needs to stay above 26C at night with the lights off.
The thermometer is at the bottom on the right side of the tank in the centre. Its below the wire on the right side, blocked by the spider plant.

Yes I soaked my tortoises every day.

I dont think I can increase the height of my substrate if not the distance will be very close of the UVA. My tank height is 45cm only.

The weight of my tortoises are 70.4 and 76.4 grams. They dont roam at all. All they do is hide at a corner all day.

The bulb on the left is a LED light to brighten up the enclosure. Bulb on the right is a 75W UVA

Temperature at night is about 28 or 29 celcius. I dont use any night heat.