The Cause of Death

rocillo.a

Location (City and/or State)
Tagaytay City, Cavite, Philippines
I am from the Philippines and i am new in the world of tortoises. I am a newbie. and need to learn a lot.

We all know that the RI was and still the main cause of most tortoise death.

but let us know how tortoise got infected.
i have read some threads, and they have different conclusion and analysis, they said this, this and this contradicting to this of this.

but we want to know how do they get it, how to prevent it, how to cure it.

I am newbie and i am willing to learn a lot from all respectable members here in TFO.
I am sorry. just wanna learn why and how.

If there is anyone who lost a tortoise and have time to discuss it here how and why they lost one. please
kindly post it here. Whatever reason, RI or other cause of death because of health issues.

I and all of newbies here will be thanking you guys for the rest of our tortoise keeping.

Sorry for my grammar.
Not as good as any other else.
Thank you TFO.

By the way this is my Little Sulcata - RhynoIMG_20140614_135303.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm sorry you lost your baby Sulcata.

To understand how your tortoise came down with the RI in the first place, (if that is in fact what it had) we need to know how it was housed. Typically, they get sick when kept too cold with moisture.

Search for a thread called: Hatchling Failure Syndrome

And read that...see if any of that applies.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

rocillo.a

I'm sorry you lost your baby Sulcata.

To understand how your tortoise came down with the RI in the first place, (if that is in fact what it had) we need to know how it was housed. Typically, they get sick when kept too cold with moisture.

Search for a thread called: Hatchling Failure Syndrome

And read that...see if any of that applies.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for giving attention bro.

i always have 100% humidity and 33C temp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't say that the number one cause of tortoise deaths is RI. I would say dehydration kills more babies than anything else and dogs or other predators probably kill more of the older ones.

RI is typically caused by temperatures being too low especially at night and with high humidity. 30-33 is fine as an ambient, but 26- 27 is warm enough. They also need a warmer spot to bask and get higher than ambient. This basking spot should be near 37. If your humidity is at 100% all of the time, you might want to increase ventilation just a bit.

rocillo.a

I wouldn't say that the number one cause of tortoise deaths is RI. I would say dehydration kills more babies than anything else and dogs or other predators probably kill more of the older ones.

RI is typically caused by temperatures being too low especially at night and with high humidity. 30-33 is fine as an ambient, but 26- 27 is warm enough. They also need a warmer spot to bask and get higher than ambient. This basking spot should be near 37. If your humidity is at 100% all of the time, you might want to increase ventilation just a bit.

Thank you sir Tom.

ill try to add some holes on the top..
like bottle-caps in diameter.
when i started using closed chambers, humidity is not a problem..

thanks sir Tom for all of the informative threads.