The difference in caring for a Greek and Star Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperrier100

5 Year Member
Hi,
I have been looking forward to becoming a first time tort mom for about a month now (when I started working on my enclosure). I'm almost ready for a tort (just need the lighting and substrate) and was planning on a Greek tortoise (which I have extensively researched).

A reptile expo is coming into my area next week and I'm seeing some tortoises I never thought I'de have access to (I feel bad about having tortoises "shipped" so was looking to get one local), like Indian Star tortoise, which I think look lovely.

Can someone please help me understand if there are any major differences in caring for a Greek tort and a Star tort, as I am considering getting a Star at the expo. I see that they like about the same temps and slightly less humidity as Greeks (and eat a few different Greens). Anything Else? :tort:

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I don't know anything about Greeks but my Star is wonderful. You will want to keep the humidity quite high for your Star if you get a hatchling, the experts around here recommend raising the babies the same way as Leopards. It's just really important to keep their temperatures up, as they are prone to getting sick if wet and cold at the same time.

They are beautiful tortoises though, and though they have a reputation for being shy mine is quite friendly. I've only had him a few months and he's very comfortable being handled and hand-fed.

Stars eat mostly weeds and succulents, but you can raise you baby on store bought stuff like spring mix, herb mixes, escarole, endive, etc. I have Aloe Vera, Jade and Opuntia growing in his enclosure for snacks too, and am growing some clover. It's really pretty easy :)

Anyways I highly recommend Stars!

mperrier100

5 Year Member
Ooo Thanks for the input. I don't know whether I will get a baby, juvenile, or adult. I wasn't even originally considering getting a star because they do not sell them in my area :) I'll have to see how old the ones at the reptile expo are :D

rideburton87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW burbs, Illinois
My guess is they are going to be very young at the expo ( months old ). I have always wanted a star but a bit out of my price range for now. If you're going to get one and should be raised like a leopard I would make sure you have a vivarium or a closed chamber for it, not a tortoise table. I started raising mine on a table for a couple months and regret it. For me it was impossible to keep the humidity up which is a large part in how they grow up ( smooth and health! ) . For the substrate I use a soil base with coco coir and a mild mulch base ( mulch is just laid out for a change in substrate ) and I am very happy with it. I am able to grow plants and seeds which I just recently put in the enclosure. But I would say do your research and invest in a star. I think they are absolutely beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.