The ultimate list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
If you did do just one subspecies or type, than yes you could do a basic care book :D

Though the hingeback analogy doesn't quite work now that Kinixys nogueyi is back as a subspecies of K.belliana. :p

Time to redo the list too :) They have raised the subspecies of Galaps to species level. They aren't recognizing Dipsochelys hololissa and D.arnoldi as species and at best they would be subspecies of D. dussumieri

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
stells said:
Someone who has kept nearly all of them... * cough... Danny*

LOL!! I didn't want to point fingers, but he's who I had in mind!

S

stells

Tone... i will remember that next time.... practice what you preach and all that :D

In my defence i did start my post with... I really don't want to sound rude here and hope i don't... that usually means... i hope i don't sound rude :D

General care books... i have the Star one by the Fifes :D... but when something is so variable then no... sorry i don't

Yvonne... great minds and all that lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just FYI- 'Cherryhead Red-foots' are not a separate species (yet) or even really much of anything other than a marketing term, but if you are breaking Red-foots up into care categories it would be Northern and Southern forms.

Also jut FYI- i love the idea of your mini care book! A lot of the posts I make are parts of a book I am working on very casually on Red-foots that I would LOVE to expand to ALL Forest Tortoises. The idea would be that Part 1 would be natural history and science, Part 2 would be general cares- the importance of humidity and how to achieve it, etc., and Part 3 would be chapters on how to apply the info on Part 2 to each species. So far tis but a dream, though.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think generalized tortoise care books were good "back in the day" because we didn't know as much about the specific needs or micro-environment of each individual species. This hobby has come a long, long way since then. We now know that certain species sometimes have specific needs. I think by attempting to lump a group of tortoises together in a book based on their common name (Greek) or by their habitat designation (forest or desert) a book will not be able to cover specific needs for the various species involved. That is unless the author is willing to address each species, it's environmental and captive care needs individually in seperate chapters or sections.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hey! I just read through this thread, and I am offended, deeply offended, that there is no Chaco tortoise on your list! When I revealed this omission to my Princess Pinto Bean, a large tear trickled slowly down her cheek from her sad dark eye...and with a wee sniffle of resigned anonymity, she shuffled softly back into her warm dark hide.

How could you?!

Now the only way you can redeem yourself is to add Chacos to the list, and send my Taco some grape leaves...if they really exist.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Yes, I was reacting to Meg's list.

You know I won't be able to shame Danny into sending us grape leaves!

"Chaco" isn't highlighted or bolded in the appropriate prominent position it should have anyway, even in Danny's list...(peddle, peddle)!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I updated the list :D

This coming up year (2010), as well as naming the new Galapagos tortoise species, they will be adding a second species to the Chersina genus.
You will also notice that there are now 2 species of Chaco tortoise. What was Chelonoidis chilensis chilensis is now C. petersi and C.c.donosobarrosi is now C.chilensis.
Kinixys nogueyi is now back where it belongs as a subspecies of K. bellianna

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So what does that mean for Stephanie? What is her Chaco?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OH! Sorry...that went right over my head. I was forgetting that there was a chaco redfoot. Or am I still up in the clouds?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
egyptiandan said:
I updated the list :D
You will also notice that there are now 2 species of Chaco tortoise. What was Chelonoidis chilensis chilensis is now C. petersi and C.c.donosobarrosi is now C.chilensis.
Kinixys nogueyi is now back where it belongs as a subspecies of K. bellianna

Danny

So...not to belabor the issue, but what is the difference between my Taco Petersi (that will now be her legal last name) and the Chaco/former donosobarrosi and current kinixys nogueyi (both of which would have been excessively unwieldy last names anyway)? ;)

Does the new designation indicate any change in the micro-climate I need to provide her?

Gotta grab that Danny advice whenever he's around!:D

(And thanks for advocating for my Taco, Yvonne. She appreciates it.):p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sorry :p I needed a period before I started in on the Kinixys genus (nothing to do with Taco :D).

It's just a name change ;) and nothing more :D

The former Chelonoidis chilensis donosobarrosi now (C. chilensis) gets bigger and has dark centers and light edges to all the carapace scutes. It's the opposite for C. petersi.

There is a Chacoan redfoot Yvonne :D but at most it would be a subspecies of redfoot and not a seperate species.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
egyptiandan said:
There is a Chacoan redfoot Yvonne :D but at most it would be a subspecies of redfoot and not a seperate species.

Danny

So far, Danny... so far!

What is your source for the updates and such?? I'd love to have a good link for that sort of thing.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Here you go Mark http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/checklist/

The only thing is :rolleyes: The new list is now damaged and doesn't come up. I saw it once and am kicking myself for not saving it than.
The list from early 2009 is working fine. I'm hoping they get it fixed soon.

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
egyptiandan said:
Here you go Mark http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/checklist/

The only thing is :rolleyes: The new list is now damaged and doesn't come up. I saw it once and am kicking myself for not saving it than.
The list from early 2009 is working fine. I'm hoping they get it fixed soon.

Danny

It opened OK for me (odd), and I find I already have it saved- cool! Thanks!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Now that I've fiddled with it :p It's working for me again too. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.