The end of an era

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
Over the last year I have been downsizing, I started the last year with over 130 tortoises. I have been collecting tortoises for many years now, while I loved every single one of them it was just getting to be too much work. Slowly I have whittled down my collection, to just what I really thought I wanted to work with. Well today it really hit me, the last large group of tortoise left on Monday. Today I started to tear down all the enclosures and heated houses. I went inside to grab some water and when I walked back out it really hit me there are no tortoises outside, the only tortoises who are still living outside are My western Hermanns and they are brumating for the winter. So for the first Time in year my yard isn’t full of tortoises makes me a little sad. That being said out with the old and in with the new. I am putting up another shed next week to expand my indoor space, so the projects around my yard are not over just will not be the same. Thought I would share an updated list of what I’m working with as it’s completely different to what it was in the past few years.
1.1 Pyxis planucadia
2.2 Pyxis arachnoides
1.2 Pyxis arachnoides.b
2.2 spengleri
1.2 basin yellow foots
1.1 Indian spotted
2.3 Forstens
1.0 Galapagos
2.3 western Hermanns
29 total

Still a ton of animals but not nearly as many as before, excited to see where these coming years lead.

Enjoy the photos

Attachments

• IMG_7066.jpeg
    IMG_7066.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7049.jpeg
    IMG_7049.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7046.jpeg
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6825.jpeg
    IMG_6825.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6824.jpeg
    IMG_6824.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's a big difference. I can imagine the feeling. Thankfully you didn't have to stop all together. Less tortoises, more time to enjoy them.
Good luck with your new adventures. Some great looking tortoises you have.