The Garden

ChosenPumpkim

Location (City and/or State)
Carthage NC
Hello There 🤗

I am new here and had a few questions about feeding my tort (Commander Cody). Me and my husband grow a garden. We have cucumbers, pumpkins,peppers, tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce. I was wondering if I could feed Cody the leaves of the things we are growing? The reason I joined this forum was because any other outside source was giving me contradicting dietary advice and I want to make sure he is on the best diet as possible. I’ve grown very attached to my little guy so any facts help! He loves being in the garden too!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello again! For these guys you want to be feeding leafy greens and weeds, so no cucumbers, pumpkins, pepper, tomatoes or watermelon, essentially no fruit in general as these guys aren’t fruit eaters and can’t digest it properly.

Cucumber leaves and pumpkin leaves can be fed sparingly as part of a varied diet, the watermelon leaves can be nibbled. The others cannot and are toxic.

What kind of lettuce is it you grow? That could be fine.

For anything you’re unsure of, this is a really handy website to look through below🙂
You could buy your own seeds online, plant them in organic soil(free of any fertilisers or chemicals) In a planter the tortoise can’t reach, then forage them as they grow😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello There 🤗

I am new here and had a few questions about feeding my tort (Commander Cody). Me and my husband grow a garden. We have cucumbers, pumpkins,peppers, tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce. I was wondering if I could feed Cody the leaves of the things we are growing? The reason I joined this forum was because any other outside source was giving me contradicting dietary advice and I want to make sure he is on the best diet as possible. I’ve grown very attached to my little guy so any facts help! He loves being in the garden too!
What species Is Commander Cody?

Most of those things are not ideal tortoise foods. Most tortoises should be eating weeds, leaves and flowers. Some species eat a lot of grass in addition to the weeds and leaves.

Any of the squash leaves are good food for them, and most of the other stuff is good once in a while, as part of a mixed and varied diet. Pumpkin, squashes and cucumbers should be grated or fed whole. Tortoises can choke on the pieces when we cut them into "chunks". Lettuce is okay, but it needs to be amended.

We can give better tips when we know what species we are talking about. There is lots of care and diet info here:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
What species Is Commander Cody?

Most of those things are not ideal tortoise foods. Most tortoises should be eating weeds, leaves and flowers. Some species eat a lot of grass in addition to the weeds and leaves.

Any of the squash leaves are good food for them, and most of the other stuff is good once in a while, as part of a mixed and varied diet. Pumpkin, squashes and cucumbers should be grated or fed whole. Tortoises can choke on the pieces when we cut them into "chunks". Lettuce is okay, but it needs to be amended.

We can give better tips when we know what species we are talking about.
They have a Russian🙂

ChosenPumpkim

Carthage NC
Hello again! For these guys you want to be feeding leafy greens and weeds, so no cucumbers, pumpkins, pepper, tomatoes or watermelon, essentially no fruit in general as these guys aren’t fruit eaters and can’t digest it properly.

Cucumber leaves and pumpkin leaves can be fed sparingly as part of a varied diet, the watermelon leaves can be nibbled. The others cannot and are toxic.

For anything you’re unsure of, this is a really handy website to look through below🙂
You could buy your own seeds online, plant them in organic soil(free of any fertilisers or chemicals) In a planter the tortoise can’t reach, then forage them as they grow😊

Thank you! And yeah all the plants are in a raised flowerbed (he can’t get anywhere near them) but obviously the pumpkin leaves have grown out so he likes to hang out under those.