The Reptile Zoo in CA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They have a Reel on FB. The girl is feeding a couple Galapagos tortoises, they look like Aldabras to me. Their heads are pointier than the squarer head I normally see on Gallops.
Anyway, she said they use their nostrils to drink.
In the little blurb it says they thrive on only fruits and vegetables.
@Markw84
Any truth to this with Gallops?
Anyone in CA know of this place?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I am not familiar with it but I'm getting feelings of a whole bunch of reptiles being stressed out. I hope this is not the case.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looked them up just now. They are in Fontana. Never been there.

The reel I saw showing their "Galapagos" shows her feeding Aldabras. They do not thrive on only fruits and vegetables. They thrive on grazing/browsing on mostly grasses and weeds. Fruits as a treat only.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looked them up just now. They are in Fontana. Never been there.

The reel I saw showing their "Galapagos" shows her feeding Aldabras. They do not thrive on only fruits and vegetables. They thrive on grazing/browsing on mostly grasses and weeds. Fruits as a treat only.
Yeah I thought they were Aldabras too. The blurb written at the bottom read for Gallops and so makes one think they are supposed to be Gallops in the Reel.
They don't drink out of their nostrils either, correct? She states that in the video.
So sad they don't learn better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, all tortoises include their nostrils when drinking. That's why they submerge their whole face in the water. the other end of the nostril is in the roof of the mouth, so they drink through their nose as well s their mouth.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Actually, all tortoises include their nostrils when drinking. That's why they submerge their whole face in the water. the other end of the nostril is in the roof of the mouth, so they drink through their nose as well s their mouth.
This was what I was going to say. This is also why a soak might get a foreign object out of your tortoises nostrils.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, didn't know that was the reason. But she still says it wrong. She does not say both but that they drink thru their nostrils not their mouths.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been there. It’s nothing to write home about for sure. All the tortoises I saw there were kept much too little space. A few years ago, when I was there, there were no Galapagos there.
Not sure they have any now either.
The writing talks like they do but they show the wrong species.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Yeah I thought they were Aldabras too. The blurb written at the bottom read for Gallops and so makes one think they are supposed to be Gallops in the Reel.
They don't drink out of their nostrils either, correct? She states that in the video.
The reason Aldabras have the funny pointy nose is to drink water from extremely shallow pools in rocks or leaves. I have seen ours snort up tiny amounts of water from an empty feed dish in the rain.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The reason Aldabras have the funny pointy nose is to drink water from extremely shallow pools in rocks or leaves. I have seen ours snort up tiny amounts of water from an empty feed dish in the rain.
I'm not sure they were talking about Aldabras though. Yes, they were Aldabras in the Reel, but everything in writing was about Gallops.
Either way, neither species should be fed solely fruit or veggies.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoises do drink through their nostrils. They can drink from very shallow puddles too that way.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Tortoises do drink through their nostrils. They can drink from very shallow puddles too that way.
I didn’t realize they could all do it, I thought it was an Aldabra adaptation.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I didn’t realize they could all do it, I thought it was an Aldabra adaptation.
In this case, I would have thought so too, but if it was an Aldabra adaptation, why leave out the Galaps and all other blunt faced tortoises? Why don't they all have pointy faces to drink shallow water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In this case, I would have thought so too, but if it was an Aldabra adaptation, why leave out the Galaps and all other blunt faced tortoises? Why don't they all have pointy faces to drink shallow water?
My leopards and Russian doesn't have pointy faces and they can drink from shallow dishes. That might be why they use their noses too. They can reach more shallows that way.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Another example of lazy people making animals do the work. I HATE these type of people. It is no different than a puppy breeder that's income comes from an animal (mom) doing all the work (giving birth) with little human work needed. GET A REAL JOB.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another example of lazy people making animals do the work. I HATE these type of people. It is no different than a puppy breeder that's income comes from an animal (mom) doing all the work (giving birth) with little human work needed. GET A REAL JOB.
I disagree with the dog breeder comment. I didn't make a living off my breeding. In fact lost money most likely. Good breeders spend lots of money to take care of their pups and breeders and gives them the right care, vacs, socializing needed to have a great puppy for someone to enjoy. They also do their homework into breeding only the best possible.
Now, backyard breeders and puppy mills are what you are talking about. They put little to nothing into their breeding.
I don't mind animal breeders, without them, there would be a lot of extinct or endangered animals. If it weren't for breeders, the breed I had, the Chinese Shar-Pei would be no more. But, as long as they do it for the betterment of the breed and put the time and money into them.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I disagree with the dog breeder comment. I didn't make a living off my breeding. In fact lost money most likely. Good breeders spend lots of money to take care of their pups and breeders and gives them the right care, vacs, socializing needed to have a great puppy for someone to enjoy. They also do their homework into breeding only the best possible.
Now, backyard breeders and puppy mills are what you are talking about. They put little to nothing into their breeding.
I don't mind animal breeders, without them, there would be a lot of extinct or endangered animals. If it weren't for breeders, the breed I had, the Chinese Shar-Pei would be no more. But, as long as they do it for the betterment of the breed and put the time and money into them.
Maybe an example would help with what I was trying to get across:
We had a neighbor with no job 3 kids and a wife living rent free in someone else's house. As the MAN of the home it was his job to get a job that would provide for his dying wife and 3 young children. Guess what he came up with ..... I'll get a female pyrenees and breed her. I'll sell puppies. This lazy man wanted someone or something else to do the work that is needed to make money for his family to live on.
The money making scheme his has had now for years is rent out his property to Illegal Immigrants for the purpose of growing Illegal Marijuana. They DESTROY the water Table with Illegal Chemicals and put on the market Toxic Marijuana that no one knows how dangerous it is.
So ...This "Reptile Zoo" is most likely someone wanting the draw of the animals to pay their bills, instead of getting a real job.