The same in every language!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Kerry and I recently returned from a trip that included a day trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon We arrived Easter morning for a very moving sunrise service and I realized during the tail end of the service that it really didn't matter what "religion" anyone there was....we were just people, together enjoying the very best that nature has to offer us. Chills stuff....if you were human, you felt chills....very cool.

Later, while sitting near the rim in one of the benches, I listened to folks as they strolled up.....Kerry went off to find the museum and I just listened to people as they approached the rim and it struck me....."WOW" sounds the same in every language my friends....whether it has an Brit, Aussie, Eastern European, Spanish, Asian or Deep South ring to it....it's the same word spoken by nearly everyone! It was the coolest thing! Sometimes we are happy to be part of the human race.....I was that day.

For frame of reference in the pictures.....the opposite wall of the Canyon is 10 miles away. The floor of the Canyon is approx 1 mile, straight down.

After standing here for a while, we sauntered up the path along the rim.....being Jeff, jeff picked up a rock, about the size of a large pear. I was going to see how far I could see it go down....like the dimes tossed from the ESB in NY decades ago(only about 20 stories-if it's clean and spinning in the sun)! Just to see it. I had the rock, I was "weighing" it in my hand as I pumped my arm, calculating how hard to throw it w/o throwing out my arm..... and I took a few steps back and was "getting ready"....in that split second I heard at 110db, "You can't throw that!"

Why not? I asked sheepishly...

"Cause there's PEOPLE down there!"

Oh yeah? I thought the mules were "over there"......"No, they are right underneath us!"

(That rock would have killed the mule, much less a person)........LOL...sry, poor taste but it is funny.............Thank you God for Kerry!

This was a cool trip....the Grand Canyon is something I've wanted to see since I was a boy................I was very happy!

My ramblings---you can avoid this part by just looking at the pics!
I'm not keen on any of the areas down South of Flagstaff in the state............like someone decided to grow a city...in the middle of a scrub desert. "Where should we get water?" "I dunno, hows about 300 fricking miles away!" When your life depends on a water main.......just doesn't seem to bright to me, that's all.
I told Kerry I wouldn't live there if it were free. I'd slit a wrist in 6 weeks <LOL>....EVERYTHING is BROWN!! The heat wasn't bad for someone w/42% lung capacity....I spent last Weds out there in 102F working on a 40 yr old Mercedes for 7 hrs. It actually wasn't bad due to 9% hum, compared to the rain-forest 80-90% humidity of the East coast. The air down South outside of Phoenix sucks.....it's filled with pollution from becoming the 5th largest city area. The air at 8600 ft in Flagstaff was best.

As always "open image in new tab" for full sized pics!

1 big hole2.JPG
c2.JPG
If you see the water in the center, there is a suspension bridge crossing it. I would not have known this looking over the edge.......but there was a plaque, showing us where to look. So I took a pic or two...
B1.JPG
I missed the focus point...duh!jeffspath.JPG
bell1.JPG
We climbed Bell rock in Sedona. This is some over-achiever at Bell Rock(there were a LOT of those folks there)..................the pic above thin one is "jeffs path up" I actually led the way and they were all shocked that Superman sprinted to the midpoint straight up, got out of sight....then I died....what they don't know is that I've got a solid 30 secs before I'm gasping on the ground(copd)....so I ran up the side, they walked the path around and by the time they got to where I was, I was good to go and asking them "what took you guys so long?" LOL....

We made it to the Snowbowl....my plan was the Sedona climb in the morn, then ski in the afternoon but my body told me "NFW jeff" by the time we got there so I just watched her son boarding....
sb2.JPG
Prob best I didn't ski.....that jump would have put me in the hospital.....yeah, I know me, been hanging around with me for a long time...... I would not have been able to resist....not to do "tricks", just to go off fast and land it......yeah, that had Fail Army all over it!!!!!

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Kerry and I recently returned from a trip that included a day trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon We arrived Easter morning for a very moving sunrise service and I realized during the tail end of the service that it really didn't matter what "religion" anyone there was....we were just people, together enjoying the very best that nature has to offer us. Chills stuff....if you were human, you felt chills....very cool.

Later, while sitting near the rim in one of the benches, I listened to folks as they strolled up.....Kerry went off to find the museum and I just listened to people as they approached the rim and it struck me....."WOW" sounds the same in every language my friends....whether it has an Brit, Aussie, Eastern European, Spanish, Asian or Deep South ring to it....it's the same word spoken by nearly everyone! It was the coolest thing! Sometimes we are happy to be part of the human race.....I was that day.

For frame of reference in the pictures.....the opposite wall of the Canyon is 10 miles away. The floor of the Canyon is approx 1 mile, straight down.

After standing here for a while, we sauntered up the path along the rim.....being Jeff, jeff picked up a rock, about the size of a large pear. I was going to see how far I could see it go down....like the dimes tossed from the ESB in NY decades ago(only about 20 stories-if it's clean and spinning in the sun)! Just to see it. I had the rock, I was "weighing" it in my hand as I pumped my arm, calculating how hard to throw it w/o throwing out my arm..... and I took a few steps back and was "getting ready"....in that split second I heard at 110db, "You can't throw that!"

Why not? I asked sheepishly...

"Cause there's PEOPLE down there!"

Oh yeah? I thought the mules were "over there"......"No, they are right underneath us!"

(That rock would have killed the mule, much less a person)........LOL...sry, poor taste but it is funny.............Thank you God for Kerry!

This was a cool trip....the Grand Canyon is something I've wanted to see since I was a boy................I was very happy!

My ramblings---you can avoid this part by just looking at the pics!
I'm not keen on any of the areas down South of Flagstaff in the state............like someone decided to grow a city...in the middle of a scrub desert. "Where should we get water?" "I dunno, hows about 300 fricking miles away!" When your life depends on a water main.......just doesn't seem to bright to me, that's all.
I told Kerry I wouldn't live there if it were free. I'd slit a wrist in 6 weeks <LOL>....EVERYTHING is BROWN!! The heat wasn't bad for someone w/42% lung capacity....I spent last Weds out there in 102F working on a 40 yr old Mercedes for 7 hrs. It actually wasn't bad due to 9% hum, compared to the rain-forest 80-90% humidity of the East coast. The air down South outside of Phoenix sucks.....it's filled with pollution from becoming the 5th largest city area. The air at 8600 ft in Flagstaff was best.

As always "open image in new tab" for full sized pics!

View attachment 343843
View attachment 343844
If you see the water in the center, there is a suspension bridge crossing it. I would not have known this looking over the edge.......but there was a plaque, showing us where to look. So I took a pic or two...
View attachment 343845
I missed the focus point...duh!View attachment 343847
View attachment 343848
We climbed Bell rock in Sedona. This is some over-achiever at Bell Rock(there were a LOT of those folks there)..................the pic above thin one is "jeffs path up" I actually led the way and they were all shocked that Superman sprinted to the midpoint straight up, got out of sight....then I died....what they don't know is that I've got a solid 30 secs before I'm gasping on the ground(copd)....so I ran up the side, they walked the path around and by the time they got to where I was, I was good to go and asking them "what took you guys so long?" LOL....

We made it to the Snowbowl....my plan was the Sedona climb in the morn, then ski in the afternoon but my body told me "NFW jeff" by the time we got there so I just watched her son boarding....
View attachment 343850
Prob best I didn't ski.....that jump would have put me in the hospital.....yeah, I know me, been hanging around with me for a long time...... I would not have been able to resist....not to do "tricks", just to go off fast and land it......yeah, that had Fail Army all over it!!!!!
As a fellow copd recipient and old lady 😁 I heard you 😂 loud and clear. It is fun to sit back and watch the idiots though right 😂 hahaha 🤣

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a book about all the ways people manage to die in the Grand Canyon. Some of the ways were quite shocking and unexpected. Surprisingly, "small boulder to the head thrown by a tourist from over head viewpoint ledge" was not one of the many ways to die that was listed.

Thank you for the amazing pics.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I almost spit my coffee out Tom, Almost! .....lol Yeah, that rock was an alley-apple, half-brick sized.....ewww.

We were told Copters go down all the time in the canyon and they keep the incidents as quiet as possible, local News only so we passed.

I've been reading about the searing temps, trapfalls, floods in the Canyon for my entire life and as comfy outdoors as I am, I'm very realistic....most aren't though. They go to hike the Canyon like a fun trip to McDonaldland......it's not, once you leave the rim, you should not be alone. The # of rescues is higher than any other Nat Park....more than Yosemite and those are the lucky ones!

Okay, as a public service announcement I have to warn any stupid people reading this; Don't go to the Canyon, you will not survive.

I LOVED the fact that there wasn't ONE SINGLE SAFETY WARNING ANYWHERE!!! Not even telling you not to climb on the fence!

No "big brother" there folks...wanna jump the fence and climb waaaaaay out there for a selfie Studly?...........have at it Bigboy.......we'll make money when we sell the clip of you doing an ugly swan dive while screaming uncontrollably for 12 full seconds b4 you attempt to bore through the floor of the canyon with your face!

It's obvious that those who run the Park get it, safety signs only keep the stupid people alive anyway! LOL