The special needs tortoises thread!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
How did you set up the shower room? Do you have pics?
Hi Lisa No I don't have pics at mo, but at first when I was supposed a temp home, I just used a box on its side with newspapers and hay scattered around; I hang the mvb and che from over the door clothes airers.
As it became a more permanent home for the winter and I learnt more dos and don'ts from the forum I have changed it accordingly. I've also looked at how others use rooms for their bigger torts, and used their suggestions to tried to make it as comfortable and interesting as possible for Lola.
I have laid thick rubber mats over the floor and big trays of substrate of coco coir/orchid bark and pebbles etc so he has a variety of surfaces and I use sphagnum moss in his humid hide - which is the top section off a cat loo. He has big trays of water and lots of plants dotted around. He has plenty of room to wander about and natural light from 2 windows.
I use a huge windscreen shade for cars to lower the ceiling over his hide so that the heat from the radiator is directed downwards by its reflective surface. This is light and flexible so easy to fold back when I need access to his hide.
Humidity can be a bit of a problem but I have an over radiator humidifier and buckets of water but he has the humid hide and I soak him everyday, which seems to have put a hold on the pyramiding he had when he arrived. I have looked at some of the electric humidifiers but I have limited electrical sockets near the room, so that is yet to be resolved. But I am always looking at other people's ideas and pinching them to update and improve.
When I have my new conservatory I am hoping to modify the design so that Lola can have an area for a heated box similar to Toms design with space to wander.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'm very worried about his internal organs considering his deformed,flat shell.