Their first soak!

Cndlou0309

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena CA
I have two CDTs and from reading the many posts here, I found the should have a soak!
I’ve been holding onto this old galvanized bucket, a big one... for quite a while. I knew it would come in handy one day! My hens didn’t want to use it for a dust bath or a cool pool, so, it sat! Until today! I filled it w cool water and let the sun warm it up. I placed Lil girl Donna in it first. She wasn’t sure what the heck was going on! I talked her through it & she hung in there for about 5-8 minutes.
Then came Bib boy Al. He really needed it bcz he had flipped on his back yesterday & his Shell was wet w urine. He reacted much the same way! So I calmed him and rubbed the stuff off his shell.
They both are grass afterward & looked fine!!
I think they did all right seeing as it was their first real soak in 45 years!
We’ll be doing it daily with longer times each day til we get up to 30 min or so.
I loved it even if they weren’t too crazy about it! [emoji171][emoji217][emoji171]

Cndlou0309

Pasadena CA
Sometimes it also works, for more drinking, to run a hose on the grass right in front of them. Sorta like a cat, the moving water will peak their interest. They will drink up.

Oh that’s good! My hens love that as well!
I put corn & water into ice cube trays & bring them out frozen the hens. Any ideas for the totes along those lines for hydration and cooling off on these hot days?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My CDT loves to drink from puddles in the yard when watering. Won't drink from the nice big bowl of clean water, big dirty muddy puddle of water, yummy!